Robins strike salvages unbeaten start

Crows leave it late to steal a point from Buckinghamshire

Southern League Central Division

Aylesbury 1

Royston Town 1

THE CROWS remain unbeaten in the league this season after five matches, following their draw away at Aylesbury on Tuesday night.

This will be seen as two points dropped rather than one point gained as Royston were made to pay for another sloppy start and a hatful of missed chances, despite Luke Robins’ late penalty equaliser.

This was the third time in five league games Town have had to come from behind to secure something and that will be of some concern to manager Paul Attfield who will be equally miffed why second half performances have been so outstanding.

Most Read

Once again it was the opposition who started this game the better. The Crows had to make changes with both Jack Bradshaw and Kaan Fehmi absent from the squad and the hosts deservedly took an early lead after a catalogue of errors from the visitors.

A simple right-wing throw was allowed to be switched to the other flank with a hopeful cross being met by an unmarked Brian Haule who from 10 yards looped a header over a stranded Will Norris and into the net.

Home momentum continued with another shot flying just wide while a free header from a corner narrowly cleared the crossbar as Royston struggled to get to grips with the hosts.

From the half-hour mark, just like previous games this season, Royston managed to get their game in order and contrived to dominate. Ryan Lockett had an angled volley off target from a good position and Ryan Ingrey brought a good low save from the keeper from his 20-yard effort.

Set-plays caused the home side some problems with defender Taylor Parr twice having close-range efforts cleared off the line by desperate but brave defending.

Attfield replaced Matt Standen with Josh Bronti at the interval with a change of formation and with Royston once again moving the ball with great speed and accuracy the home side were forced on the back foot for the majority of the second period.

Striker Ingrey missed a great chance to equalise following a Lee Wilson cross while defender Joe DeLasalle had two bites at the cherry from a free-kick but his first effort was blocked on the line and the second saved by the keeper.

But with 10 minutes left Ingrey burst into the box and was upended with winger Robins blasting home the resulting penalty – Royston’s fifth spot kick in six games.

The Crows went for the jugular with Robins shooting just wide and a 20-yard volley from Lockett bringing the save of the night from the home keeper.

As Royston went for the win the home side broke late on and depite having so little to do on the night Norris was alert enough to block the home forward’s advances.

So a draw which was well celebrated by the hosts, being their first league point of the season, while the Crows will reflect on another frustrating Jekyll and Hyde performance as they go into a two-week spell of FA Cup and FA Trophy games.

Royston Town: Norris, Parr, Wilson, Endacott, DeLasalle, Collins, Edwards (Lawrence), Lockett, Standen (Bronti), Ingrey, Robins.