Richard’s the star for rampant Reed
A SENSATIONAL Richard Johnson century helped a mixed Reed team to a 103-run victory at Welwyn Garden City on Monday. With captain Marcus Martin winning the toss, Reed got off to a positive start, with Johnson and Matt Bowles producing a fine array of sho
A SENSATIONAL Richard Johnson century helped a mixed Reed team to a 103-run victory at Welwyn Garden City on Monday.
With captain Marcus Martin winning the toss, Reed got off to a positive start, with Johnson and Matt Bowles producing a fine array of shots.
However, when the hosts introduced the fast bowling of Wiles, the pair's rhythm was soon interrupted, with Bowles going for nine.
Luckily for Reed, the brilliant Johnson was in magnificent form, and quickly took his total to 50.
You may also want to watch:
When Bobby Coston joined Johnson at the crease, it was not long before he was making waves of his own.
The deadly duo hit the Welwyn bowlers all over the park, before Johnson finally went lbw for 110.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
Coston carried on the threat and finished with an impressive unbeaten 77.
In reply, Reed's opening bowlers Rupert Martin and youngster Mitchell Cooper restricted Welwyn's progress with some intelligent line and length bowling.
All-rounder Karl Ward then came on for the visitors and made his mark with three quick wickets that left Welwyn in a precarious position.
The equally impressive Naeem then shattered all Welwyn hopes when he took three more wickets thanks to some crafty off spin.
The hosts finished on 145 all out, giving Reed a morale-boosting victory.
The win at Welwyn followed another fine display, with Reed beating Old Albanians in the Saracens Herts League Division 2 on Saturday.
Despite struggling with their opponents' fast bowling, James Heslam (33) and Curtis (14) grafted a solid platform of 43, before the latter was dismissed.
But once again Heslam teamed up with Chris Jackson (91) to bring the score to 64, before a mix-up cost Heslam his wicket.
The setback was short-lived, however, when Tom Fulk (31) picked up the reigns.
After that partnership fell, Simon Jackson (23) and Marcus Martin (8) were left to bring the score to 216-5 off their allotted 53 overs.
Reed opened their bowling with Graham Wilson and Peter Tidey and it was not long before Old Albanians built up a healthy lead and raced to 75 off 18 overs.
But thanks to some devastating bowling from Tidey and William Clarke, who in tandem took a number of key wickets, Old Albanians slowly slipped to 133 all out in 40 overs leaving Reed 83-run winners.
Heslam said: "We really pulled together today, stitching a solid batting performance and decent fielding.
"It's a great start to our league season."
- Reed XI play host to Cockfosters on Saturday.