Relegation woe for Miller’s men
ROYSTON seconds have been relegated from the CCA Division 3SB despite a spirited performance against rivals for the drop Whittlesford. After winning the toss Royston captain Mick Miller did not hesitate in electing to bat first, especially after last wee
ROYSTON seconds have been relegated from the CCA Division 3SB despite a spirited performance against rivals for the drop Whittlesford.
After winning the toss Royston captain Mick Miller did not hesitate in electing to bat first, especially after last week's sterling performance.
The decision, however, looked to have backfired when Royston's top order was blown away by the excellent bowling of Searle (10-2-21-2) and Margolis (10-4-21-2) with only Warren (13) threatening the Whittlesford field.
Luckily at 38-4, Paul Harris (72) and John Bason (24) steadied the innings, with Harris smashing 12 fours and two sixes for his first competitive Royston half century.
You may also want to watch:
Their partnership took Royston to 161-6, which gave their opponents much to do.
But when the Whittlesford opening order started positively it was not long until Royston were rueing a series of dropped catches.
- 1 Melbourn Post Office reopens in new location
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 4 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 5 Litlington's Josh ploughs into top spot with competition win
- 6 History Society unveils new town heritage board
- 7 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 8 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
Whittlesford began to struggle against the introduction of Warren (10-1-21-1) and Harris (7-0-31-3), with the latter producing a number of unplayable deliveries.
However, despite losing two more wickets, Whittlesford crept home with one over to spare with their six wicket win condemning Royston to the drop.
- Royston's first team match against Fulbourn Institute was abandoned, with neither side collecting any points.