Relegation woe for Miller’s men
ROYSTON seconds have been relegated from the CCA Division 3SB despite a spirited performance against rivals for the drop Whittlesford. After winning the toss Royston captain Mick Miller did not hesitate in electing to bat first, especially after last wee
ROYSTON seconds have been relegated from the CCA Division 3SB despite a spirited performance against rivals for the drop Whittlesford.
After winning the toss Royston captain Mick Miller did not hesitate in electing to bat first, especially after last week's sterling performance.
The decision, however, looked to have backfired when Royston's top order was blown away by the excellent bowling of Searle (10-2-21-2) and Margolis (10-4-21-2) with only Warren (13) threatening the Whittlesford field.
Luckily at 38-4, Paul Harris (72) and John Bason (24) steadied the innings, with Harris smashing 12 fours and two sixes for his first competitive Royston half century.
You may also want to watch:
Their partnership took Royston to 161-6, which gave their opponents much to do.
But when the Whittlesford opening order started positively it was not long until Royston were rueing a series of dropped catches.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 6 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 7 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 8 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
Whittlesford began to struggle against the introduction of Warren (10-1-21-1) and Harris (7-0-31-3), with the latter producing a number of unplayable deliveries.
However, despite losing two more wickets, Whittlesford crept home with one over to spare with their six wicket win condemning Royston to the drop.
- Royston's first team match against Fulbourn Institute was abandoned, with neither side collecting any points.