Ref apologises after bad decision costs Ladies a point
Billericay Town Ladies 2 Royston Town Ladies 1 A CONTROVERSIAL offside decision right at the death meant that for the third game in a row Royston Ladies found themselves on the wrong side of a 2-1 scoreline. With just seconds remaining and Royston trailin
Billericay Town Ladies 2 Royston Town Ladies 1
A CONTROVERSIAL offside decision right at the death meant that for the third game in a row Royston Ladies found themselves on the wrong side of a 2-1 scoreline.
With just seconds remaining and Royston trailing 2-1 Emma Chaffey broke free of the Billericay defence only to be flagged offside by the linesman.
Despite the incensed protests of the whole Royston team who rightly claimed Chaffey was being played onside by a Billericay defender, a free kick was given to the home team.
You may also want to watch:
The referee was decent enough to apologise to the Royston team after the game, but it cost Royston a point against their top-of-the-table opponents.
The Crows' opponents started the better of the two sides and forced a succession of corners during the first 15 minutes, and two brave saved from keeper Claire Draper.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 6 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
Slowly Royston got into gear and strong running from VJ Foulger and Wendy Webster caused problems for the home team's defence.
The visitors went into an unexpected 1-0 lead on 25 minutes when an Emma Chaffey corner was met by Foulger who turned and volleyed home, and they almost doubled their lead five minutes later when Sharon Pinner's header shaved the cross bar.
After the break Royston were forced on to the back foot with their opponents piling on the pressure, and only top-drawer defending by Leanne Buchannan, Gemma Barlow, Dani Lewis and Charlie Foulger ensured their lead was retained.
Unfortunately Royston were unable to hold out completely and Billericay's pressure eventually told when on 80 minutes a great cross from the right was slotted home to make it 1-1.
Three minutes later the hosts took the lead with a scrambled goal, and the Chaffey-gate incident meant it stayed that way.