Reed victorious in primary school tournament
THE finals of the School Partnership primary schools tennis tournament were held at Royston Tennis Club in sweltering heat. Four Royston schools took part - Roman Way, Therfield, Reed, Icknield Walk - in addition to two from Buntingford - Jenyns and Layst
THE finals of the School Partnership primary schools tennis tournament were held at Royston Tennis Club in sweltering heat.
Four Royston schools took part - Roman Way, Therfield, Reed, Icknield Walk - in addition to two from Buntingford - Jenyns and Layston - in what was a high standard tournament culminating in a final between Therfield and Reed, which Reed won.
They will now proceed through to the county finals against seven other Hertfordshire schools at Odyssey Club in Knebworth.
Meanwhile, Royston Tennis Club summer league scores this week saw the all-Royston match between the first and second teams end in a win for the firsts 7-1.
The firsts comprised of Andy Holmes, Pru Burton, Richard Fosbeary and Kathryn Betts, while the seconds were David Addison, Sue Addison, Mike Fellingham and Karin Lambert.
The Junior Under-16s Herts League team of Sam Tobiss, Lewis Harley, Andrew Betts and Louis Boulter won away to Croxley 6-5, while in the Cambs League the under-16s first team of Sam Tobiss and Louis Boulter won at home 2-1 against Huntingdon.
- 1 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 2 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 5 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 6 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 7 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 10 North Herts grass verge cutting to be reduced
Cottenham thirds failed to turn up for its under-16's match, so Royston had a walkover, and the under-13s first team of Nathan O'Looney and Alex Wilson beat Cambridge 3-0.