Reed settle for share of the spoils against rivals
- Credit: Archant
Reed and Stevenage played out a draw in the Herts Saracens League Championship on Saturday.
Stevenage won the toss and asked Reed to bat first.
Reed got off to a solid start, with brothers James (45) and William Heslam (117) putting on 105 for the first wicket in 26 overs.
Rob Lankester (39) came in at number three giving William good support and taking the score to 195 before he fell in the 46th over.
A procession of batsmen then came and went trying to up the scoring rate, with Rehan Hassan taking 6-69 with his leg breaks.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Greaves declared after 58.5 overs with the score on 258-8.
In reply Stevenage suffered a dreadful start with Ed Wharton and Ian Osborne each taking wickets in the first two overs leaving Stevenage 8-2.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
However, this brought Hassan (111 not out) to the crease who rebuilt the innings supported by Shadrach Gittens-Brown (62).
Greaves bowled a marathon spell of 19 overs two maidens, 2-59 and kept the Stevenage scoring rate down.
But with the fall of Gittens-Brown, Stevenage opted to play for the draw and after 58 overs settled for 217-8. Reed picked up the bonus points but were frustrated at being unable to push for the win.
Fourth-placed Reed travel to Dunstable Town in the league this Saturday.