Reed School through o county finals
REED School have made it through to the county tennis finals for the second year running after winning the Royston/ Buntingford Primary Schools final last week.
32 players from eight schools contested the event sponsored by North East Herts School Sports Partnership and there was some excellent tennis on display.
Matt Fellingham, Head Coach of Royston Tennis Club, hosted and ran the tournament on Royston’s Meridian School Courts. The schools which took part were: Icknield Walk, Reed, St Marys, Studlands Rise, Jenyns, Layston, and Millfield A and B teams. Winners Reed played incredibly well throughout beating every school they came across. The score in the final against Layston was 36-28. Reed’s players were Edward Kershaw, Richard Stuart, Clara Hilborn and Harriett Bender (pictured) with Matt Fellingham.
Reed now go through to the county finals at Odyssey Tennis Centre on July, 9 in the hope of going one better than last year and win the final.
Meanwhile in the Cambs Summer Leagues, Royston’s ladies first team of Kathy Betts, Sue Addison, Pru Burton and Christine drew away to Huntington I then beat Saffron Walden III 7-1 at home.
You may also want to watch:
The ladies II of Ann Smith, Emma Windred, Caroline McCormick & Jackie Holmes team narrowly lost away to Girton I 5-3 while the men’s I of Andy Holmes, Matt Fellingham, Richard Fosbeary and Mike Moss beat Fulbourn I 7-1 at home despite Matt dislocating his shoulder during the match.
The men’s II of Mike Felliingham, Alan Knight, John Goodbody & David Addison beat Fulbourns II 5-3.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
The junior under-12 boys had a successful match away to Welwyn, winning 5 - 1. The players were James Lee, Gareth Byles, George Pemberton and James Sharp.
Full details of all club matches, membership and events can be seen on their website www.royston-tennis.co.uk