Reed hold on for draw
REED IVs held on to achieve a hard-earned draw against Old Elizabethans at the weekend.
Old Elizabethans won the toss and elected to bat first on a somewhat shabby pitch at Elstree CC. Will Kirby, (1-39), struck early but wickets did not fall frequently enough for Reed to be in total control.
The run rate was not high, so the visitors’ total of 171-7 in the full 47 overs was not considered too imposing.
The impressive Ian Roberts again picked up wickets, returning 3-27, and there were also wickets for Peter Baker, (2-26), and Alan Ward, (1-8), as well as Kirby’s opener. In reply, Baker was out cheaply and, surprisingly, Paul Garrott was dismissed for the first time this season after scoring only 11.
Two more quick wickets left Reed in a precarious position, but Peter Bradford was out for 23 while John Kershaw was top batsman with 48.
You may also want to watch:
At 100-7, Reed’s captain realised that victory was beyond them but, with 12 overs remaining, orders were to play only the straight deliveries and to leave the others alone. Roberts stayed for a while and Nick Green held out for five overs then Chris West faced an over, but the draw was achieved only by a sensible innings by Will Kirby who was undefeated on 11 not-out with some straight bat defending.
Reed are now fourth in Division 13 after picking up nine points from the match.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!