Reed draw in pre-season opener

REED kick-off pre-season friendly with a draw against Broxbourne.

Reed 1st XI (167-7) draw with Broxbourne (167)

IN their pre-season friendly of the season, Reed played out a draw against Broxbourne.

Having been asked to bat, Reed lost two early wickets but recovered with a solid third-wicket stand between Chris Jackson and Aussue Joe Curk. A sudden mix up saw Curk (20) run out and more wickets saw Reed reduced to 55-4.

Jackson was on hand to steady the innings again, this time putting on a 87-run partnership with Matt Bowles.

With six overs remaining in the innings Jackson (53) was out LBW and Bowles (48) followed soon after just short of what would have been a much deserved half century. Reed captain Lee Johnson (12no) and Rupert Martin (8no) finished the innings as Reed posted 167-7 from 45 overs.

In response the home side mirrored Reed with an un-steady start, Rupert Martin (5-22-2) picking up two cheap wickets. Opening from the other end was Reed stalwart Peter Tidey who restrained the hosts with his steady action but was unfortunate not to get a scalp himself.

Most Read

The flow of the game then changed with Gagan (24) and Davis (41) blasting boundaries but Tom Greaves (9-48-4) stopped the rot, bowling Gagan before having Davis caught at fine leg by Pete Tidey.

Lee Johnson brought himself in, picking up wickets as the middle order fell away, leaving Broxbourne staring at defeat on 96-8.

However, a 59-run, ninth wicket partnership and a momentum shifting 32 from Gary Ferguson levelled the game. But Reed held on after a rash call led to a run out.

Reed Sunday XI (177) beat Preston (103) by 74 runs.

REED’S Sunday XI got their season off to a solid start with a win away at Preston.

Having been asked to bat, Sean Tidey and Richard Johnson got Reed’s innings off to a good start before the latter was caught, bringing Marcus Martin to the crease.

Tidey (20) was next to go and he was swiftly followed to the pavilion by Tom Greaves, Mitchell Cooper, Tim Tidey and Richard Barlow without troubling the scorecard.

S Tidey (38) battled on to but it was U15 Rob Lankester and U17 Tom Walsingham who saved the innings. Coming in at 120-9 the youngsters built a 57-run partnership before Walsingham was dismissed.

In reply, Preston were finding boundaries against the pace bowling of Walsington and Cooper, who was replaced by Sean Tidey after picking up an ankle injury.

The breakthrough came once Greaves employed his spin attack. Martin and Rob Willoughby tore through the Preston upper and middle order, leaving them reeling.

Greaves then decided to bring himself on, and continued his excellent recent form in Sunday friendlies, by taking three wickets in eight balls, and not conceding a single run.

Reed Sunday 2nd XI beat Guilden Morden (120) by five wickets.

THE Sunday 2nd XI had a positive start to the season with a fantastic win over the visiting Guilden Morden.

Having won the toss and inserted Morden and Reed’s attack quickly got to work with U15 Owen Hughes (5-22-2) taking two wickets. Masseh Naeem (7-1-3) and Rhoddri Hughes joined the fray and both took wickets in their first overs.

Morden’s captain Sam Ingrey (56) clawed his team back into the game before Roddi Liebenberg (2-1-2) removed his stumps. Rhoddri Hughes came back in to collect two more wickets before Naeem and Steve Hughes (2-7-1) finished off the tail end.

Peter Baker and Rhoddri Hughes opening the batting for Reed, seeing off the first overs with precise shots. However Baker and number three Naeem were both dismissed for 16.

Rhoddri Hughes (44) played a fantastic innings and put Reed 33 runs away from their target. Next in was U15s Owen Hughes and Freddy Stuart who all but got Reed over the line until the former was bowls.

Steve Hughes joined Stuart to win the game.