Reed Cricket Club up to second in SHCL Championship after Hemel victory
- Credit: Archant
Reed plucked victory from the jaws of defeat in the SHCL Championship against Hemel Hempstead on Saturday.
Recently relegated Hemel looked to have the game sewn up by reducing Reed to 105-7 chasing 161, but a battling partnership between Sean Tidey (36) and Mitchell Cooper (23 not out) saw the home side over the line by two wickets.
Hemel struggled to find any tempo against an economical Reed attack with Cooper, Toby Fynn (10-1-23-1) and Reece Fitzgerald (10-1-31-0) all bowling a fine line and length.
Only opener Hemish Llangaratne, with a patient 50, defied the bowlers.
However, Tom Greaves turned the match with a second spell of five overs for 4-14. Cooper (9.3-1-29-4) then mopped up the tail in the last over to leave the hosts in command.
You may also want to watch:
However, Reed were soon in trouble at 4-2, needing the resilience of Rob Lankester and Chris Jackson to build their innings.
When Jackson was out for 36, still needing 56 to win with three wickets remaining, all seemed lost, but first Tidey and then Cooper dispatched the visitors’ attack to secure a third league victory in four matches and leave Reed just 22 points adrift of leaders Letchworth.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 5 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Three household waste collection crews suspended
- 9 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 10 Family builds fairy garden for grandchildren during lockdown