Reed begin SHCL Championship season with six-wicket triumph over rivals Stevenage
- Credit: Archant
Despite being ravaged by illness and injury, Reed’s first XI opened their Saracens Herts League Championship campaign with a comfortable six-wicket victory over rivals Stevenage.
Their opponents lost wickets at regular intervals to the opening attack of Pete Tidey (10-1-21-1) and Ian Osborne (10-0-48-3).
At 88-5 they were rocking but a stubborn partnership of 51 between Andrew Joslin (46) and Shadrach Gittens-Browne (23) steadily re-built their innings.
However, Alex Mutucumarana (8-1-29-2) bowled out both and they finished on 186-9 after 50 overs.
In reply, Reed lost two quick wickets, but Will Heslam (79*), in 70 plus run partnerships with Rob Lankester (42) and Richard Wharton (36), saw the visitors home with five overs to spare.
You may also want to watch:
Man of the match Wharton also dismissed four batsmen, leaving Reed with a comfortable chase.
They host Dunstable Town on Saturday.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 3 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 10 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more