Reed back on Village Cup trail

REED began their Village Cup campaign on Sunday with a convincing win against Cambridgeshire League side Waresley. Having won the toss on a pitch dampened from the rain on Saturday that forced the first team game to be abandoned, skipper James Heslam ele

REED began their Village Cup campaign on Sunday with a convincing win against Cambridgeshire League side Waresley.

Having won the toss on a pitch dampened from the rain on Saturday that forced the first team game to be abandoned, skipper James Heslam elected to put the opposition into bat.

And a quick and testing opening spell by vice-captain Andy Young reduced Waresley to 0 for 3.

Well supported by economical bowling by Peter Tidey (9-4-14-0), Young went on to take four wickets in his opening spell and leave the visitors reeling at 27 for 4 after 14 overs.

Waresley recovered to 102 for 5 after 31 overs, but with time running out and the other Reed bowlers doing a decent job, they struggled to gain much momentum.

The Reed fielding was also on song and Stuart Smith notably got in on the act with a fine direct hit run out from cover, as the visitors were eventually bowled out for 128 just inside their allotted 40 overs.

Most Read

Young returned to finish with 5 for 21 off his nine overs, with Jason Archer also picking up two wickets.

In reply, Reed got off to a solid start before losing both openers Curtis and Heslam for 18 a piece.

However, decent partnerships between Marcus Martin (44) and Tom Folk (12) and then Martin and Smith (11 not out) saw Reed home with Martin in particular looking in excellent touch with shots all round the wicket.

After he fell just short of a deserved 50, Karl Ward came in to hit the winning runs. Reed now travel to Longmarston in the area semi-final.

Captain James Heslam said: "It was great to make it through to the next round, especially after we had a few key players missing.

"We take the Village Cup very seriously and maybe this year we can put a decent run together.

"Everyone felt last season's semi-final loss at North Mymms was a missed opportunity, so we'll see how we go against Longmarston next week."

Reed hosted their first Division 1 match at the Green on Saturday, against Knebworth Park .

And both teams walked away with 10 points after the match was abandoned after only 15 overs with Reed on 51-1.

Having lost the toss on a green wicket, James Heslam's men were put

into bat on a pitch that appeared to offer substantial assistance to the

seam bowlers.

However, it was not to be as Heslam (17*)

concentrated hard to build an early innings and Baz Curtis (25) mixed

concentration with some swashbuckling shots.

When Curtis fell caught and bowled to a well struck half-volley, this brought Joe Curk to the crease, and he got off the mark in impressive style with a lofted flick off his pads for four over midwicket, followed by a similar shot for six the next ball.

But the rain set in, and although the teams took an early tea, the pitch was

considered unfit for play, and the match abandoned.

Frustratingly, other teams in the division managed to complete games,

allowing them to extend a lead over those who were denied by the weather.

Skipper Heslam said: 'It was frustrating, as I felt we got a good start in difficult conditions, but the umpires made the right decision.

"Joe was looking in ominous touch, and it was nice to get some time at the crease myself."

Reed are due to visit Totteridge Milhillians onSaturday.

A BELOW-par performance saw Thriplow crash to a disappointing 89-run defeat at St Ives on Saturday.

In a game reduced to 36 overs and with the wicket looking very damp, the Thriplow bowlers were hampered more by the wet ball than were the batsmen.

Nigel and Andy Morris found some good deliveries but the Greiller brothers kept the score moving.

Skipper Chris Neild and Dickon Turner fared little better, until with the score on 74, R Greiller lifted Turner into the safe hands of Andy Morris at long on for 27.

Eventually M Greiller then pulled Turner to Martin Craze on the leg side boundary for 64, but that was to be the last success for Thriplow, as Jones (41 not out) and Havard (58 not out) saw the score through to 196-2.

A good Thriplow response was needed, but it was not to be as the first four batsmen all failed to trouble the St Ives attack.

Richer edged to slip, Smith was bowled, and Martin Craze and Chris Viner were both caught behind to leave the innings in disarray at 1-4.

Andy Craze and Paul Staley then staged a rescue bid, taking the score to 51, when Craze slipped on the wet strip turning for a second run, and was comfortably run out for nine.

Staley was Thriplow's last chance, but after an enormous straight six he was caught for 51 following an attempt at another.

Andy Morris (17) gained some useful time at the crease, but Neild (6), Rennie (0) and Turner (8) were all unable to stem the tide for long. Nigel Morris was left to maintain his infinite batting average with 5 not out as Thriplow were dismissed for 107.

BUNTINGFORD managed to beat the weather and the opposition on Saturday, as the journey to Ilford Catholics proved to be a fruitful one.

With bad weather affecting most of the day's play, Buntingford skipper Barry Walker won the toss and elected to field.

And this proved to be an excellent decision, as Richard Pearce (10-45-3) and Chris Chambers (10-19-2) took three quick wickets.

A good stand between Vincent Mulholland (50) and Eddie Tooth (57), put Ilford back in a decent position, but once these two batsman had been removed, the Buntingford attack of Steve Paola (10-37-2) and John Clements (6-16-2) polished off the Ilford innings at 174 all out.

In reply, an opening stand of 83 by Franchua Dixon (57) and Martin Coote (32) put Buntingford in a great position.

Chris Chambers (36 not out), Richard Pearce (16) and Wikus Van Der Walt (18) completed the win for the loss of just four wickets, with three overs remaining.

BALDOCK played host to Chorleywood seconds on Saturday and drew a match that they probably should have won.

Despite a decent opening spell from Alistair Jones and Matt Ayre, Chorleywood got off to a fair start.

Logan Newman then took a well overdue wicket and the returning Jones added another to leave the visitors on 90 for 3.

Baldock then missed the chance to snare dangerman Luigi following a dropped catch, as he raced to an impressive 50.

Disappointingly for the hosts Luigi went on to register a fine century as he took his team to 157 for 4 almost single headedly.

Tim Dean then gave Baldock some hope as his three wickets saw the visitors end on 159 for 9 from their 53 overs.

The total looked far from threatening, but when Baldock lost three quick wickets, things took a turn for the worse for the hosts.

Ayre and Tom Dupuy restored some pride to take Baldock to 74, with Ayre particularly impressive with a deserved 53.

However, with the score at 100 for 4, Ayre perished, and Chorleywood pounced to leave Baldock on 110 for 6.

Julian Muir and Jones tried in vain to pull Baldock back from the brink, but two quick wickets had them on 143 for 9 off 47 overs.

Baldock II managed a win against Luton Indians III.

Batting first Baldock totalled 178 for 9 from 53 overs, and in reply Luton reached 160 for 8, as Baldock skipper Phil Lucy took five key wickets.

However, Baldock III were less fortunate as they crashed to Datchworth III, who managed only 129 for 9. However Baldock slumped to 31 all out after 27 overs.

Baldock's Sunday team also slipped to a 60-run defeat to Crawley Green. The visitors registered 135 for 9 off 40 overs, and that proved enough as Baldock were all out on 75 after 30 overs.