Reed 4ths seal promotion with Hertford 5ths destruction
- Credit: Archant
The first team’s promotion ambitions may have been dashed last weekend but Reed’s 4ths made up for it by securing their place in next season’s Regional Division B East.
The current league leaders swept aside second-bottom Hertford 5ths by eight wickets.
Reed won the toss and elected to field but were left wondering if it had been the right choice as the home openers began with a flourish.
Connor Ives (39) and James Davis (19) gave Hertford a steady beginning but they were to fold like a pack of cards as only Harry Sewell (40) reached double figures in the remainder of their innings. They were dismissed for 122 all out.
Ian Roberts (4-28) was the pick of the Reed bowling.
The visitors were left sweating immediately as Martin Johnson was removed for a duck but Paul Garrott (50), Ben Mansfield (34) and Alan Ward (26 not out) enabled celebrations to begin.
Following the match, skipper Lloyd Bowman said: “This was a superb all-round performance by the team today. The bowling, fielding and the batting were all top drawer and we managed to get over the promotion line in the end.”
- 1 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 4 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 8 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 9 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 10 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told