Raymond triumphs ahead of National Championships
Royston-based boxer too hot for Rhys Varndell
ROYSTON-based boxer Levi Raymond competed in his 24th amateur boxing bout on Monday and won via unanimous decision.
The fight took place in the Moat House Hotel in Bedford and he was up against Rhys Varndell of Turners Boxing Academy in Surrey who had won nine of his 11 previous bouts – including a multi-nations event.
Raymond, of Stevenage ABC, started strong and produced some strong body shots and relentless left hooks which forced Varndell to take a standing eight count after just 45 seconds of the first round.
In round two, Varndell was still shaken and was being relentlessly punished by Raymond’s devastating left hooks and straight rights whose strength and fitness only seemed to increase as the bout progressed.
You may also want to watch:
In the third and final round Raymond stopped at nothing to cause devastation as he continuously had Varndell against the ropes and was delivering heavy body shots and big hooks from all angles. Raymond won as expected by way of unanimous decision.
He next boxes on Sunday, March 13 alongside fellow national champion club mate George Crotty in the Juniour ABA’s National Championships.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms