Raymond triumphs ahead of National Championships
Royston-based boxer too hot for Rhys Varndell
ROYSTON-based boxer Levi Raymond competed in his 24th amateur boxing bout on Monday and won via unanimous decision.
The fight took place in the Moat House Hotel in Bedford and he was up against Rhys Varndell of Turners Boxing Academy in Surrey who had won nine of his 11 previous bouts – including a multi-nations event.
Raymond, of Stevenage ABC, started strong and produced some strong body shots and relentless left hooks which forced Varndell to take a standing eight count after just 45 seconds of the first round.
In round two, Varndell was still shaken and was being relentlessly punished by Raymond’s devastating left hooks and straight rights whose strength and fitness only seemed to increase as the bout progressed.
You may also want to watch:
In the third and final round Raymond stopped at nothing to cause devastation as he continuously had Varndell against the ropes and was delivering heavy body shots and big hooks from all angles. Raymond won as expected by way of unanimous decision.
He next boxes on Sunday, March 13 alongside fellow national champion club mate George Crotty in the Juniour ABA’s National Championships.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 5 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 8 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 9 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 10 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment