Raymond and Crotty through to quarter finals
Royston-based boxers comfortably win their bouts first round of National Junior ABA Championships
ROYSTON-based boxers Levi Raymond and George Crotty qualified for the quarter finals of the National Junior ABA Championships with their respective wins on Sunday.
Raymond, of Stevenage ABC, was in action first in the 63.5kg class against Hoddesdon ABC’s Brian McDonagh and the Royston fighter was quick out of the blocks in the opening round where he knocked his opponent to the canvas.
By round two it was clear Raymond was too strong for McDonagh who found himself with his backs to the ropes for spells and in the next round he was given a standing eight count by the referee as Raymond looked assured of victory. Unexpectantly Raymond won via a unanimous decision.
Crotty, also of Stevenage ABC, took to the ring straight after Raymond’s bout in his match with Slough ABC’s Anthony McDonagh, who was considerably taller at 6ft 7in.
You may also want to watch:
But the height difference never proved to be a factor as Crotty produced a number of fierce body shots that his opponent found difficult to deal with.
McDonagh took a standing eight count in round three but Crotty continued the onslaught and, like Raymond, won unsurprisingly by a unanimous decision.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 7 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
The Hertfordshire pair will take on two opponents from London in the next stage on Sunday, April 10.