Raymond and Crotty through to quarter finals
Royston-based boxers comfortably win their bouts first round of National Junior ABA Championships
ROYSTON-based boxers Levi Raymond and George Crotty qualified for the quarter finals of the National Junior ABA Championships with their respective wins on Sunday.
Raymond, of Stevenage ABC, was in action first in the 63.5kg class against Hoddesdon ABC’s Brian McDonagh and the Royston fighter was quick out of the blocks in the opening round where he knocked his opponent to the canvas.
By round two it was clear Raymond was too strong for McDonagh who found himself with his backs to the ropes for spells and in the next round he was given a standing eight count by the referee as Raymond looked assured of victory. Unexpectantly Raymond won via a unanimous decision.
Crotty, also of Stevenage ABC, took to the ring straight after Raymond’s bout in his match with Slough ABC’s Anthony McDonagh, who was considerably taller at 6ft 7in.
But the height difference never proved to be a factor as Crotty produced a number of fierce body shots that his opponent found difficult to deal with.
McDonagh took a standing eight count in round three but Crotty continued the onslaught and, like Raymond, won unsurprisingly by a unanimous decision.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 6 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 7 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 10 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
The Hertfordshire pair will take on two opponents from London in the next stage on Sunday, April 10.