Rally is no pushover for Griffin
A NEW-LOOK Griffin Motorsport impressed once more at the Essex Charity Rally – despite having to push the car over the finishing line. The Royston-based team still finished fifth, and moved to joint first place in the AEMC Championship. With Sam Fordham
A NEW-LOOK Griffin Motorsport impressed once more at the Essex Charity Rally - despite having to push the car over the finishing line.
The Royston-based team still finished fifth, and moved to joint first place in the AEMC Championship.
With Sam Fordham absent, Louise Earthy came in alongside Brett Griffin in the co-driver's seat, and after some early nerves the pair began to push forward to take first place in the class and fourth overall by the end of stage four.
Mechanical faults soon put paid to further progress.
However by stage 11, the team had secured the day's fastest time, despite slipping down a position in the overall placing.
Overcoming all that was thrown before them, Griffin Motorsport suffered one last setback, when the car lost power in the final straight.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 3 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
- 10 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
However, Griffin and Earthy were not going to be beaten and the pair showed their character and determination by pushing the car over the finish line.
Griffin said: "It was a tough finish but we were not going to give up.
"Out of breath, we waited for the results, and were stunned to find that we were still fifth overall and first in our class.
"We were both very pleased - it was a great day even if there were a few problems.