Rain ruins Reed’s Division One debut

REED were frustrated by the rain in their opening game of their Division One campaign.

Having set Luton a challenging target of 200 on a wicket that favoured the bowlers, the heavens opened just four overs into the reply and the game was abandoned with no result.

Reed lost the toss in their first Division One outing and were expectedly put into bat.

Brothers James and William Heslam opened the batting with Luton’s attack of Manzor and Ishaq looking dangerous.

It was Ishaq who took the first Reed scalp, shaping one away from William Heslam (0) who departed without troubling the scorers.

Joe Curk and James Heslam struck some lusty blows before Curk (8) and Heslam (14) were dismissed by Ishaq and Manzor respectively.

At 34-3 Chris Jackson (54) and Tom Greaves (53) steadied the ship with an 81-run partnership.

Most Read

Greaves (53) was eventually caught, whilst Jackson (54) was ably supported by Mitchell Cooper before he was bowled by Manzor.

Cooper (30) turned up the heat and played some expansive strokes, and between him and Sean Tidey (19) they put Reed into an excellent position before they were dismissed.

Jack Tidey (12) came to the middle to continue where Cooper and his brother had left off as Reed declared on 200-8.

As the rain loomed in, Reed opened with the spin of Greaves and Morse.

However, the inevitable occurred and despite both side’s gallant efforts to play, the weather took it’s toll and the game was rained-off.

Reed (200-8) drew with Luton Town & Indians (28-0)

• Reed’s Sunday 1sts had better luck, beating Baldock by 39 runs.

Having won the toss and elected to bat, Peter Baker (8) and Sean Tidey put on 28 for the first wicket before the former was bowled.

Richard Johnson (43) joined Tidey (67) and together they pushed the score along.

After Tidey was dismissed Marcus J.E. Barker added 36 before Baldock’s Graham Letford (4-35) ripped through the middle order.

Greaves (22) got Reed over the 175-run mark for a bonus point before the innings came to an end on 189.

Baldock’s reply did not start well as Burkitt was run out without facing a ball.

Joe Graves (1-30) made the next breakthrough, removing Gentle.

Letford joined J. Rist (28) and another partnership was beginning to build before Graham Stuart bowled Rist.

Saunders and Letford set about reaching Reed’s impressive total, scoring fluently, but Stuart took his second wicket of the game, removing Letford for a well crafted 32.

Greaves made a double change in the bowling replacing Stuart and Ward for himself and Tidey.

Saunders was run out by a direct hit from Karl Ward, then Greaves (3-29) took his wickets in quick succession removing Jones, Bell and Mabbitt.

Tidey (1-9)then bowled Loriot (3) to leave Reed with three overs to get the final wicket.

With the last ball of the game Tiley hit one back at Greaves who dropped a simple caught and bowled chance as Reed won the game but failed to pick up a maximum six points.