Promotion push is in the balance
Litlington Reserves 2 Hundon A 2 LITLINGTON S BIS promotion challenge was left hanging by a thread despite an excellent draw against table-topping Hundon. The hosts knew three points would boost their chances of promotion from Division 5A and were on top
Litlington Reserves 2 Hundon A 2
LITLINGTON'S BIS promotion challenge was left hanging by a thread despite an excellent draw against table-topping Hundon.
The hosts knew three points would boost their chances of promotion from Division 5A and were on top early on.
James Evans should have score in the first five minutes, but failed to hit the target from close range and Paul Harris then saw his glancing header fly inches past the far post.
Hundon soon showed why they are pace-setters after Litlington's defence went to sleep at a free-kick, leaving a striker to tap home. The home side were back on level terms after 40 minutes when Harris smashed a 25-yard half-volley past the helpless keeper via the underside of the crossbar.
The second half started in similar fashion but Litlington were unable to find the final pass and soon found themselves behind again as Hundon used their aerial advantage to steal the lead.
- 1 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 2 Grandad celebrates 18th sailing championship win
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Vintage tractor run to raise money for churches
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Johnson Matthey to build £80 million 'gigafactory' in Royston
- 9 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 10 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
The home side could have been further behind but a missed penalty and excellent goalkeeping from Rikki Wilson kept the home side in the game.
James Evans clinically finished in a one-on-one situation to give Litlington a share of the points after Harris cleverly dummied a through ball into Evans's path.
Litlington have one game remaining and must win and rely on other results to be sure of promotion.