Promotion for Royston Hockey Club ladies
- Credit: Archant
Royston Hockey Club ladies’ first team celebrated promotion to East League Division One after a 3-0 win at Hertford 1sts.
The visitors started strongly, with the majority of possession, but Hertford fought back, and at half-time the game remained goalless.
Knowing only a win would ensure the prize they were after, Royston pressed and following wave after wave of attack, some well-worked passing enabled Lucy Richardson to convert the game’s first goal.
Holding the slender lead, Royston were keen to kill off the game with another goal and that arrived moments later through Sophie Gathercole.
Hertford desperately sought a response, but despite several short corners and efforts on Laura Price’s goal, the two-goal lead remained intact.
You may also want to watch:
After weathering the storm, Royston finally made sure of the points and promotion with a third. A short corner flew to Richardson, who smashed her second to complete the win.
To see how the men’s 3rds and 4ths got on, turn inside.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme