Promotion comes a step nearer
Buntingford seconds moved to the top of the Herts and Essex League Division Six – and a step closer to promotion – with victory over leaders Hatfield Heath. A half-century from John Clements helped Buntingford to a total of 184-9 after they had been put i
Buntingford seconds moved to the top of the Herts and Essex League Division Six - and a step closer to promotion - with victory over leaders Hatfield Heath.
A half-century from John Clements helped Buntingford to a total of 184-9 after they had been put into bat.
He was supported ably by Clive Glasscock (28) and Wikus Van Der Walt (27).
Buntingford went out to field knowing that in order to take over at the top of the table, they not only had to bowl Hatfield out, but also had to prevent them from scoring more than 100 runs so they did not pick up any batting points.
After six weeks out with injury, Karl White returned to the team and performed magnificently, taking four wickets in five overs, conceding just one run in the process.
With Nick Atkins bowling well from the other end, Hatfield found themselves in a mess at 44-7.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 5 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 6 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 7 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 10 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
As the clouds closed in and rain looked likely, Clements and skipper Colin Chambers polished off the tail quickly, and Hatfield finished on 62 all out.
Chambers said: "That was a very professional performance and I am really pleased.
"Every member of the team played his part, and now the ball is in our court.
"If we win our last two games, we will remain top of the league and gain the promotion this team deserves.