Promising athletes receive grants
TWO of Royston’s most gifted athletes have received grants from North Herts District Council to help them secure future success.
Myles Fisher, 11, a BMX rider for Royston Rockets who finished the year ranked seventh in the country was selected for the grant, along with rower Ben Jackson, 18, who was one of only 30 athletes to be chosen to join the Great Britain Rowing Talent Squad.
In total 13 grants and �3,925 were given out to North Hertfordshire’s most promising performers by NHDC chairman, Councillor Michael Weeks.
Administered twice a year through Sport North Herts, the grants will help the talented youngsters meet the rising costs of travel as they represent the district, and go towards the kit and equipment they need to compete at their level.
Cllr Tricia Gibbs, NHDC’s portfolio holder for community development, said: “We have a lot of very talented young athletes and coaches in North Herts, and we are delighted to be working with Sport North Herts to help them reach the top of their game.”
You may also want to watch:
Myles Fisher, Royston grant recipient, said: “The award means that I can move onto the next stage of my BMXing. I will be going to the world championships next year in Birmingham as I qualified by finishing this season with a national ranking of seven. With the help of this grant, I can keep working hard towards my goal of reaching number one.”
The next round of sports grants opens later this year in December. More information can be obtained from Jess Young on 01462 474257 or by email at email@example.com.
- 1 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 2 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 3 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 4 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 7 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show