Precious point for Crows against fellow strugglers

Colney Heath 1 Royston Town 1 KOJO Ofori s 65th minute goal was enough to give the Crows a point at fellow strugglers Heath on Saturday. With neither side having managed a league win between them, a draw was always the likely outcome – but the result woul

Colney Heath 1

Royston Town 1

KOJO Ofori's 65th minute goal was enough to give the Crows a point at fellow strugglers Heath on Saturday.

With neither side having managed a league win between them, a draw was always the likely outcome - but the result would have done little for either side's survival hopes.

Russell Jones returned in goal for the Crows after Scott Statham had picked up an injury in the Crows' shock midweek home defeat against Dunstable, and the visitors were also without skipper Stuart Snowden, who had become a father on the morning of the match, and Ely Kitenge who failed to find the ground.

Jones was forced into action midway through the first half when he did well to tip a shot around the post, and he also dealt well with the repeated long balls over the top from the home side.

Most Read

The visitors took the lead when stand-in forward James Revell broke down the left and after beating two men, he crossed into the box for an unmarked Ofori to blast home.

Ofori could have made it 2-0 within three minutes when he broke through the defence, but his shot went just past the left hand post.

The home side grabbed a share of the spoils 14 minutes from time when Alan Reid was harshly adjudged to have deliberately handed a ball into the box, and Standen confidently slotted the resulting spot kick home.

Royston: R Jones, M Saunders (L Revell), A Reid, P Chappell, R Cannon, J Nash, K Ofori, C Edwards, L Rogers, (P Rolliston) A Huckle, J Lavell

Royston Town A 2

Broxbourne Badgers 1

THE Crows maintained their great start to the season with this hard fought but deserved victory over Broxbourne.

The home side just shaded the opening stages and took the lead after Kenny Blair had threaded the ball through a static defence and Lee Bates slotted passed the advancing keeper.

The goal acted as a spur for the visitors and seemed to stir them in to life but a levelling goal was never really on the cards due to some stout defending and a great display of goalkeeping from Chris Free.

Some changes for both sides ensured the tempo of the game did not drop for the second period and only an ever growing catalogue of missed chances prevented Royston from increasing the lead.

Against the run of play Broxbourne drew level when a desperate punt out of defence fell kindly to the Badgers centre forward who held of a late challenge before finishing well.

The game looked to be heading for a draw until substitute Andy Littlefair chased down a seemingly lost cause, took on and beat three defenders and then crashed the ball home to secure all the points for his side.

Royston Town Reserves 4

Tring Corinthians Reserves 2

PUTTING the bitter disappointment of the previous two defeats behind them, Royston put on a super show to turn over the leagues early leaders, and put their season back on the rails.

Fielding a side that looked more familiar and robust the hosts took the game to Tring from the outset, and dominated in all departments.

Defensively Royston looked confident throughout, with youth team keeper Sam Booth, making a sound debut behind a strong back line.

The home side took a deserved early lead through Chris Geldart who squeezed a close range shot in at the near post, before Adam Stokes added a second shortly after when he left the defence trailing in his wake before tucking the ball past the oncoming keeper.

With the half coming to a close Royston then had a mad four minutes with a couple of lapses in concentration being punished by the visitors number eleven who always looked sharp.

However the second period started again with Royston dominating, and restricting Tring to only a couple of hopeful long range efforts.

This domination was again rewarded when Bradley Jackson just got something on the ball from a corner to regain the lead.

The scoring was then completed when influential skipper Danny Miles put in a long throw from the left which a visiting defender under intense pressure could only guide into his own net.

Royston: S Booth, D Miles, R Lowden, M Baker, A Stothard, B Jackson, M Hayden, C Geldart, B Bowles, A Stokes, C Parry, G Jackson,

Buntingford Vets 1

Royston Town Vets 1

WITH Garden Walk unexpectedly unavailable, due to new goal nets which had to be fitted on Sunday morning, this fixture was in jeopardy late Saturday night.

Only saved thanks to the hard work and efforts of the would-be visitors finding a pitch and facilities in Buntingford saved the game.

And what a game it turned out to be. Full of chances, end to end play, with both sides putting the logistical issues behind them and amazed that the score only ended up with one goal a piece.

With just the 10 men, Royston gladly accepted the offer of former Town Vet Terry Back to switch sides.

Before he could reacquaint himself with a Royston shirt, Town could have been there up in the space of the first two minutes.

After 15 minutes, it could have been five, as well worked chances for Paul Lewis, Colin McArthur and Nick Humphries went begging.

Against the run of play, Buntingford took the lead five minutes before half-time as Royston went in ruing their missed chances.

The second half saw Town on the offensive, yet still they could not get that elusive goal, until 10 minutes from time when MacArthur coolly slotted home after a scramble in the six yard box.

This stirred Buntingford into action and it took several fine saves from Merv Chaffey to keep the scores level, in what turned out to be an enjoyable and fine game of football, played in the best spirit.

Royston Town Vets: M. Chaffey, M Jackson, I Allen, I Stubbs, M Saggers, D Quinn, R. Harris, P. Lewis, N. Humphries, C McArthur, T Back