Plate success for Royston Rugby Club
- Credit: Archant
A fine 25-15 victory away to Hitchin saw Royston retain the G A Kelly Plate last Saturday.
With Hitchin being a league above Royston, it was always going to be a hard fought game but the visitors withstood some early pressure before scoring the first try of the game through Ben Risema who raced through the opposition back line to scored under the posts. The conversion was successful.
Royston took confidence through this score and soon added another with Tom Crawley showing a burst of pace round his man and score in the corner. The conversion was unsuccessful.
Hitchin soon replied with an intercept try which was not converted.
However, it was Royston who ended the half the stronger, putting heavy pressure on the Hitchin defence with several phases just outside the tryline before passing the ball out wide for Sam Morris to get of the scoresheet.
You may also want to watch:
Again the conversion attempt was not successful.
The second half was a fiercely fought contest with both sides fighting hard for possession.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 8 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
However, Royston dealt the hammer blow when Michael Schurch stepped his winger to score.
The conversion attempt was unsuccessful, but a successful penalty moments later secured the victory and even a Hitchin try could not affect the result as Royston walked off with the Plate.