Piggott treble as Cougars are too good for Sandy
THE under-15s got Buntingford Cougars off to a good start, knocking eight past helpless Sandy Colts – including a hat-trick from Scott Piggott. Four first-half goals were kick-started by an Alfie Long penalty, before Piggott ran riot with three coolly ta
THE under-15s got Buntingford Cougars off to a good start, knocking eight past helpless Sandy Colts - including a hat-trick from Scott Piggott.
Four first-half goals were kick-started by an Alfie Long penalty, before Piggott ran riot with three coolly taken strikes.
Ben Johnson grabbed another two for the Cougars, before Alex West and Chris James completed the rout.
However, with the under-15s rampant, the under-14s were on the receiving end of a heavy defeat, losing to BCSFC Athletic 6-0.
Buntingford's under-11s also lost their opening game, against Letchworth GCE Yellows going down 3-1.
The Cougars were 2-0 down at half time, before Calum Browne's mazy run was finished with an audacious chip over the Letchworth keeper.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 8 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
Liam Price and Alex McGregor had opportunities to draw level, and after some healthy spells of possession, Buntingford were unfortunate when their opponents scored a third.
In the mini soccer leagues, Buntingford Cougars' action continued with the under-eights losing and winning.
Losing 3-2 to Hitchin, Cougars bounced back in their second match with an 8-0 win, goals coming from Simon Keogh (2), Jordan Moore, Stanley Ray, and James Savage (4).
The under nines lost their two matches against Rising Stars with the Blues going down 3-1 and the Whites 2-1. Connor Poulton and Sam Curran scored respectively.
It was also bad news for the under 10s, as they lost all three of their games, with the Whites and Blues losing to Letchworth GCE, and the Stripes defeated 8-0 by Bishop's Stortford.
The Blues fought hard with Charlie Owen scoring two great goals in an entertaining 6-4 defeat.