Penfold salvages draw for Royston
Cheshunt Ladies II 2 Royston Ladies 2 ROYSTON played only their second game this half of the season, but went out looking like they haven't stopped playing. They began strongly with more possession of the ball than their opponents and were happy to move t
Cheshunt Ladies II 2 Royston Ladies 2
ROYSTON played only their second game this half of the season, but went out looking like they haven't stopped playing.
They began strongly with more possession of the ball than their opponents and were happy to move the ball around the pitch keeping Cheshunt on their toes with some brilliant passing.
However they were unable to take advantage of several short corners they were awarded as a result of their dominant play.
You may also want to watch:
At the other end of the pitch, Cheshunt probed forward but some good defending from the back line, including the player-of-the-match Harriet Shipley, kept Royston on level terms.
Throughout the game Shipley found great space and created some good opportunities for the midfielders and forward to take advantage of and push back the Cheshunt defence.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 6 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Royston were first to score with Sarah Buckerfield hitting the ball at the keeper who could only push the shot towards Sophie Gathercole who picked up the rebound and, after shaking off a defender, managed to push the ball through their stick and into the net.
Going behind spurred Cheshunt on and not long afterwards they levelled the score with a great shot from a short corner to make it 1-1 at half-time.
The start of the second half saw keeper Mel Harding produce some good saves to keep Royston within touching distance, although Cheshunt did manage to score one.
Royston were not to be outfought, though, and a free hit on the outside found Kirsty Penfold in a great position on the left post from which she get her stick on the ball to deflect it over the keeper and into the net to take a share of the points.