Partners shine at Hitchin
THE sporting partnership between Meridian and Greneway continued with an impressive showing at the North Herts Schools Championship at Hitchin. Greneway claimed gold in the Year 7 and 8 boys and girls combined team championship. Meridian was also among t
THE sporting partnership between Meridian and Greneway continued with an impressive showing at the North Herts Schools Championship at Hitchin.
Greneway claimed gold in the Year 7 and 8 boys and girls combined team championship.
Meridian was also among the medals, grabbing silver in the senior boys competition.
The two Royston schools also collected a number of bronze medals and top six finishes.
There were a number of other impressive swims from the Greneway and Meridian students, many with new personal bests, some taking part in their first championship.
Sam Cooper of Greneway won gold in the Year 7 and 8 boys 50m freestyle while the Meridian senior boys squad won gold in the medley relay with a school record of 1 minute 19.88 secs.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 4 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 9 Town's biggest employer pays tribute to late F John Smith's 'vision and commitment'
- 10 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
Coach Terry Graves said: "Once again Greneway and Meridian were one of the best mixed schools overall.
"Our success once again showed the importance of the partnership between the schools and Royston Swimming Club, with most of the swimmers representing both."
In the girls junior squad Charlotte Day, Chloe Smith, Alice Hildrup and Kelly Stubbs all secured personal bests, as did Jacob Leighton, Matt Brennan, Joe Walsh and Sam Cooper in the boys junior squad.
Amie Lawrence, Alice Hully and Marie Walsh swam PBs for the intermediate girls squad, with Tom Dolden, Charlie Stafford, Bruce Harrison, and Adam Shield doing the same in the intermediate boys.
In the senior section Kerry Alexander, Sophie Campbell, and Ashleigh Tuck also swam PBs for the girls, with the boys also impressing with Tom Hallam and Tom Shield also securing PBs.