Partners shine at Hitchin
THE sporting partnership between Meridian and Greneway continued with an impressive showing at the North Herts Schools Championship at Hitchin. Greneway claimed gold in the Year 7 and 8 boys and girls combined team championship. Meridian was also among t
THE sporting partnership between Meridian and Greneway continued with an impressive showing at the North Herts Schools Championship at Hitchin.
Greneway claimed gold in the Year 7 and 8 boys and girls combined team championship.
Meridian was also among the medals, grabbing silver in the senior boys competition.
The two Royston schools also collected a number of bronze medals and top six finishes.
You may also want to watch:
There were a number of other impressive swims from the Greneway and Meridian students, many with new personal bests, some taking part in their first championship.
Sam Cooper of Greneway won gold in the Year 7 and 8 boys 50m freestyle while the Meridian senior boys squad won gold in the medley relay with a school record of 1 minute 19.88 secs.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 5 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 6 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 9 Parents' tribute to caring community as they continue push for new specialist facilities
- 10 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife
Coach Terry Graves said: "Once again Greneway and Meridian were one of the best mixed schools overall.
"Our success once again showed the importance of the partnership between the schools and Royston Swimming Club, with most of the swimmers representing both."
In the girls junior squad Charlotte Day, Chloe Smith, Alice Hildrup and Kelly Stubbs all secured personal bests, as did Jacob Leighton, Matt Brennan, Joe Walsh and Sam Cooper in the boys junior squad.
Amie Lawrence, Alice Hully and Marie Walsh swam PBs for the intermediate girls squad, with Tom Dolden, Charlie Stafford, Bruce Harrison, and Adam Shield doing the same in the intermediate boys.
In the senior section Kerry Alexander, Sophie Campbell, and Ashleigh Tuck also swam PBs for the girls, with the boys also impressing with Tom Hallam and Tom Shield also securing PBs.