Pair coast into semis
ROYSTON S Matt Coppen and Peter Adams made it through to the semi-finals of the Eastern Counties Pairs on Sunday, after a comfortable victory at the City of Ely BC. Adams and Coppen scored constantly throughout their match against the Ely pairing of B Sad
ROYSTON'S Matt Coppen and Peter Adams made it through to the semi-finals of the Eastern Counties Pairs on Sunday, after a comfortable victory at the City of Ely BC.
Adams and Coppen scored constantly throughout their match against the Ely pairing of B Saddington and D Lewis, and eventually ran out 25-9 winners.
The pair's victory was one of a number of positive results for the club over the weekend.
On Friday, the team of Beryl Huckle, Gillian Fisk, Eileen Hyde, Evelyn Huffer, Pam Keating, Joan Knights, Anne Martin, and Pat Smith claimed a 39-26 victory at home to Stevenage BC, in the North Herts Ladies 2x4s.
You may also want to watch:
There was also success for the Royston trio of Mel Flack, Colin Pawson and Don Sheriff, who secured an 18-10 victory over Stevenage BC in the semi-finals of the L & D triples competition.
Then on Saturday, there were mixed results for the club in the ladies North Herts finals, held at Hitchin Town BC.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
Brenda Hollands defeated Riverian's Minah Reid 21-20 in the singles.
And there was also success in the Challenge Shield for Yvonne Whitehouse, who won her match by 21-18.
But defeats in the pairs and triples meant that opponents Riverian moved above Royston into the Championship winner's position.
There was further disappointment for the club on Sunday, as Royston's ladies went down 21-12 to Baldock in the fours competition.
In other results, Royston slipped to an 83-55 defeat against Sawston in the Meldreth and District League on Thursday.