Pair claim annual Johnson Matthey trophy at Royston Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Pam Bonnett and Gerry Squires took top prize in Royston Golf Club’s annual Johnson Matthey Mixed Draw Trophy with a score of 31 stableford points.
Peter Dean and Marjory Humphreys were second with 30 points and third were club captain Ray Sammons and Val Squires.
In wet weather only six golfers took to the fairways on Thursday.
The scores on the day reflected the difficulty of the course.
Mial Walker mastered the conditions best and returned with 30 points to win overall.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday this week’s swindle was won by Alan Saunders with 37 stableford points closely followed in second place by Phil Martin (36) and Richard Lane (35).
Sunday saw the club hold their monthly medal, which doubles as the centenary qualifier where the top 15 scores go forward to the final later in the year.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
With the rough on the Heath growing thick and fast, the better scorers kept their tee shots on the superbly manicured fairways, while wayward golfers spent their morning searching in the long grass.
Winner on the day was Olie Bance with a three-under-par 67.
Greg Fyson took second with 69 whilst Simon Thompson was third with his round of 70.