Own goals didn't stop Vets
Royston Town Vets 4 Birchanger Vets 1 TWO own goals and a brace from Paul Lewis saw the Vets comfortable winners on Sunday. Nick King started in the centre of defence, with Ian King, Brian Cannon and Richard Harris returning. Lewis put Town ahead after 2
Royston Town Vets 4
Birchanger Vets 1
TWO own goals and a brace from Paul Lewis saw the Vets comfortable winners on Sunday.
Nick King started in the centre of defence, with Ian King, Brian Cannon and Richard Harris returning.
Lewis put Town ahead after 20 minutes, chasing what looked a lost cause, to rob the ball off the last Birchanger defender, then calmly slotting home past the advancing keeper.
Last week's scoring sensation, Kevin Barthrop looked to have left his scoring boots at home after majestically pulling a cross from Lewis down on his chest, to then screw wide from eight yards.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
Harris replaced the agitated Carlo Silenti as Town dominated, yet were unable to turn their supremacy into further goals.
The second half saw Mark Crowley making his Royston debut as manager Terry Gore rotated his surprisingly large squad, with Ian King at full back, Brian Cannon in a new wing back role and the return of a restrained Silenti.
Barthrop looked as if he was finally about to get on the score sheet, shaping up to shoot from a Lewis run and pass, when a sliding tackle from a Birchanger defender saw the ball taken away, only to run into the corner of the net, for an own goal.
Another own goal followed, which was something of a mystery to all concerned. A long back pass went to the visitors goal area and with everyone waiting for the return kick, the ball somehow found its way into the net.
Normality was resumed 10 minutes from time, when Lewis again found space on the left outpacing the defence, to then round a defender and hammering home for his second, before the visitors snatched a late consolation goal.
Royston Town Vets: M. Chaffey, M Jackson, I Stubbs, K Flack, N King, D Quinn, J Nash, C Silenti, P Lewis, K Barthrop, J Clark, C McArthur, I King, I Allen, M Crawley, B Cannon, R Harris
- On Sunday (October 29) the Vets continue their run of five home games with Goldin Old Boys providing the opposition at Garden Walk, kick off 10.30 am