Buntingford Town 2 (G Christie, RWilmott) Mildenhall 0 BUNTINGFORD Town s youth team ended their remarkable season with a memorable win in the Divisional Winners Championship Final - completing an amazing treble. Monday evening s match at Thetford Town

Buntingford Town 2

(G Christie, RWilmott)

Mildenhall 0

BUNTINGFORD Town's youth team ended their remarkable season with a memorable win in the Divisional Winners Championship Final - completing an amazing treble.

Monday evening's match at Thetford Town FC was the team's 64th game of the season: a season in which they have been crowned the league and Eastern Youth League Cup champions.

As the game got under way Buntingford began to dominate for long periods, playing with a vigour and determination that their opponents found hard to contain.

Most Read

Buntingford's usual flowing football was put on hold as the team got to grips with the difficult surface, and first-half opportunities were limited to set plays; David Cain's height causing Mildenhall's defence all sorts of problems.

The strategy worked a treat, as a number of Cain's flicks created half chances for the attack.

As Buntingford piled on the pressure, the Mildenhall attack did little to threaten with keeper Stuart McHale rarely called upon.

With the opposition failing to attack and Buntingford's inability to turn half-chances into goals, the half ended goalless.

After the interval, Buntingford with an abundance of drive and enthusiasm quickly took control of the game, raining in on the opposition goal with a barrage of long throws, corners and free kicks, most of which went agonisingly close.

Their relentless pressure finally paid off when, in the 61st minute, Tim Jarman's pace got the better of his marker, and he was hauled down in the penalty area.

Gary Christie confidently stroked a spot kick home, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Boss Paul Attfield sent on the lively Luke Robins, who immediately caused havoc down the left with his direct running and pace.

The substitute went on to play a decisive part in Buntingford's second goal after 81 minutes when he outpaced two defenders, before crossing a low ball into the box.

The cross was slowly scrambled away, only for Jack Bradshaw to fire the ball back into the danger zone where striker Robbie Wilmott was ready and waiting - pouncing on a loose ball eight yards from goal and poking it high into the net. It was a goal that was highly-contested by the Mildenhall team and staff, but a deserved goal all the same.

From then on Buntingford were in complete control and sensed another medal was only minutes away.

Captain Mark Roach lifted his second trophy within a week and brought the curtain down on a truly memorable season.

Delighted manager Paul Attfield said: "I don't think the season's achievements this squad has gained will ever be matched again.

"I've been a manager for 16 years now, in charge of some decent teams - but none of them have been as successful as this squad of players.

"Their collective team spirit and work ethic has been outstanding. We have some exceptional individual ability in the squad and time and again they have produced enthralling performances, that most teams have struggled with.

"I am extremely proud of their success," he added.

Buntingford squad: Stuart McHale, Jordan Gibson, Carl Simmonds, Dean Chaffey, Lewis Endacott, Jake Tyler, Mark Roach, David Cain, Will Turl, Jack Bradshaw, Jamie Morriss, Tim Jarman, Tom Malins, Luke Robins, Sam Leader, Gary Christie, Robbie Wilmott, Ashley Townsend.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter