Osborne notches five-fer in Steeple win
CCA Junior League 4B
Steeple Morden 89-8 (31 overs)
Coton 86 (27 overs)
Steeple won by two wickets
STEEPLE Morden were made to work hard for their two-wicket victory at home to Coton which maintained their position at the top of the table.
Batting first, the visitors made a good start reaching 26 before losing their first wicket, Paul Jarman making the breakthrough, before Martin Osborne claimed the next five wickets finishing with figures of 10-4-17-5.
Graham Jarman then bowled the dangerous Chandler 33 to return figures of 10-1-34-3 before a sharp piece of fielding by George Thomas produced a run out. Jarman claimed the final wicket as Coton were dismissed for 86, a score Morden were more than confident of reaching.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 3 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 8 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 9 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 10 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
Having to bat for 10 overs before tea, Morden were soon in trouble at 14-2, ascore that failed to look better after tea as they slipped to 31-5.
Much depended on opener Phil Saich as wickets kept falling around him and, at 71-8, the game was in the balance before Morden’s Jarman used all his experience to help steady the innings.
Both batsmen found gaps in the field and ran well between the wickets. And with just two runs needed for victory, Jarman (12*) crashed the ball to the boundary. Saich finished on 39* - a match winning innings in a low scoring thriller.