Orwell prevail in penalty shoot-out drama
ORWELL eventually won the Lower junior Challenge Cup on Saturday after a high-scoring fair that was eventually settled by a 4-3 victory in a penalty shoot-out. Isleham started strongly and Orwell found themselves trailing after two minutes from a free kic
ORWELL eventually won the Lower junior Challenge Cup on Saturday after a high-scoring fair that was eventually settled by a 4-3 victory in a penalty shoot-out.
Isleham started strongly and Orwell found themselves trailing after two minutes from a free kick.
They equalised midway through the first half with a good finish from Dale Wilson after excellent work from Steve Marriott.
Orwell then went 2-1 down to another long-range effort 10 minutes before the break.
You may also want to watch:
Player-manager Chris Haynes levelled for Orwell with a header before the game swung yet again with 15 minutes remaining.
The introduction of Ben Squires gave Orwell an extra push and he set up Dale Wilson to equalise five minutes later.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
Ben Squires then put Orwell 4-3 up in extra time before United struck again with 30 seconds to go from a scrambled corner.
'Keeper Lee Cooper and Ben Squires in the shoot-out to seal an excellent cup triumph.
Orwell boss Haynes said: "It was a great game which we thoroughly deserved to win.
"I'm really chuffed for the players and supporters who turned up to watch us.