Orwell go joint top with win over Debden
Orwell 5 Debden Res 3 TWO goals in the last five minutes for Debden skewed the scoreline somewhat in this encounter which Orwell had in the bag after the first 20 minutes. Goals from player-manager Chris Haynes, Mark Golton and Chay Wilson (two) put the h
Orwell 5 Debden Res 3
TWO goals in the last five minutes for Debden skewed the scoreline somewhat in this encounter which Orwell had in the bag after the first 20 minutes.
Goals from player-manager Chris Haynes, Mark Golton and Chay Wilson (two) put the hosts 4-0 up after 20 minutes and it was a lead they never looked like losing despite conceding a goal just before the break.
The second half was more of an even contest as Orwell's energy and enthusiasm met a more determined defence.
Steve Marriott scored for the hosts but they shipped two late goals just moments after missing another good opportunity themselves.
The win takes Orwell to second in BIS Division 4A, just behind Figleaves on goal difference.
- 1 Tesco Community Garden to hold weekend celebration
- 2 Fowlmere residents voice objections to housing development
- 3 School to make 'wide-ranging changes' following Ofsted inspection
- 4 Chancellor and health secretary dramatically quit
- 5 Health at the Hub project launched in Melbourn
- 6 Kite Festival set to return to Royston next month
- 7 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 8 Cambridge Summer Music Festival 2022 brings world-class classical performers to Cambridgeshire
- 9 Citizens Advice: What to do if you have issues with delayed or cancelled flights
- 10 Chief of staff Steve Barclay replaces Sajid Javid as health secretary
Haynes said: "They were actually quite a strong side, one of the best we've played against this season, and that makes the result even better.
"We created lots of chances, put them away and could easily have won the game 6-1 late on."
Orwell: Cooper, Golton (Jones), Green, Haynes (Squires), Lynch, Marriott, Scripps, Sutton, Todd, C Wilson, D Wilson.