Orwell go joint top with win over Debden
Orwell 5 Debden Res 3 TWO goals in the last five minutes for Debden skewed the scoreline somewhat in this encounter which Orwell had in the bag after the first 20 minutes. Goals from player-manager Chris Haynes, Mark Golton and Chay Wilson (two) put the h
Orwell 5 Debden Res 3
TWO goals in the last five minutes for Debden skewed the scoreline somewhat in this encounter which Orwell had in the bag after the first 20 minutes.
Goals from player-manager Chris Haynes, Mark Golton and Chay Wilson (two) put the hosts 4-0 up after 20 minutes and it was a lead they never looked like losing despite conceding a goal just before the break.
The second half was more of an even contest as Orwell's energy and enthusiasm met a more determined defence.
Steve Marriott scored for the hosts but they shipped two late goals just moments after missing another good opportunity themselves.
The win takes Orwell to second in BIS Division 4A, just behind Figleaves on goal difference.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 3 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 4 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 5 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 6 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 7 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 9 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 10 Partygate is a kick in the teeth for South Cambs residents, says Lib Dem candidate
Haynes said: "They were actually quite a strong side, one of the best we've played against this season, and that makes the result even better.
"We created lots of chances, put them away and could easily have won the game 6-1 late on."
Orwell: Cooper, Golton (Jones), Green, Haynes (Squires), Lynch, Marriott, Scripps, Sutton, Todd, C Wilson, D Wilson.