Orwell defy the odds to take all three points from Hempstead
Hempstead United 1 Orwell 2 BIS Division 4A ORWELL made it two wins out of two with a victory over Hempstead on Saturday despite the hosts having to nominate one of their players to officiate the game after the referee didn t turn up. Although Orwell beli
Hempstead United 1 Orwell 2
BIS Division 4A
ORWELL made it two wins out of two with a victory over Hempstead on Saturday despite the hosts having to nominate one of their players to officiate the game after the referee didn't turn up.
Although Orwell believed there to be a few questionable decisions which in turn led to an awful game of football, Orwell held their nerve to follow up last week's win over Hardwick with another competent display.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors found themselves going behind first when a lucky deflection took the ball past Lee Cooper in their goal, but they responded well and levelled when Dale Wilson slotted the ball home after being put in behind the Hempstead defence.
The first half was an even confrontation, but the second half saw Orwell dominate.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
It wasn't until midway through the second period that they went ahead, however, but once Chris Haynes directed a Chay Wilson corner home with his head there was only ever one team likely to take all three points.
Speaking about the game, player-manager Haynes said: "It was pretty awkward having one of their side refereeing the game and the match was awful because of it.
"We kept our heads and played well though and deserved the win after putting in a good second half performance."
Orwell: Cooper, Jones, Todd, Haynes, Topsom, Squires, Sutton, C Wilson, Green, Golton, D Wilson. Subs: Hipkiss, Wadey-Leblond, Watson, Scripps.