Orwell aiming for top spot
Steeple Bumpstead Reserves 2 Orwell 3 BIS Division 4A ORWELL have a chance to go top of the league this coming weekend after a Dale Wilson hat-trick put an end to Steeple Bumpstead Reserves spirited performance. Wilson s last minute winner – a deflected
Steeple Bumpstead Reserves 2 Orwell 3
BIS Division 4A
ORWELL have a chance to go top of the league this coming weekend after a Dale Wilson hat-trick put an end to Steeple Bumpstead Reserves' spirited performance.
Wilson's last minute winner - a deflected free kick - handed all three points to Chris Haynes' team against the bottom-of-the-table side whose performance bellied their league position.
And with current lead leaders Figleaves in cup action this weekend, Haynes' side have the opportunity of leapfrogging them into top spot if they can beat Debden Reserves on Saturday.
Speaking about his side's win over Steeple, Haynes said: "They were a lot tougher than we expected, and it was quite a difficult game on a big pitch.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 10 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
"We struggled at times and didn't defend well, but saying that we created enough chances to win the game."
Wilson put Orwell 1-0 up at the break and midway through the second half doubled his team's lead.
Steeple came back with two goals of their own - one of which was a bizarre effort as Orwell had thought a ball had gone out for a throw in and had stopped play, only for the officials to rule it hadn't and for Steeple to go on to score - but Wilson was on hand in the dying minutes to score his third and settled the game.
Orwell: Cooper, Golton (Wadey-Leblond), Green, Haynes, Jones, Marriott, Scripps, Squires, Todd, C Wilson (Hipkiss), D Wilson.