Orwell aiming for top spot
Steeple Bumpstead Reserves 2 Orwell 3 BIS Division 4A ORWELL have a chance to go top of the league this coming weekend after a Dale Wilson hat-trick put an end to Steeple Bumpstead Reserves spirited performance. Wilson s last minute winner – a deflected
Steeple Bumpstead Reserves 2 Orwell 3
BIS Division 4A
ORWELL have a chance to go top of the league this coming weekend after a Dale Wilson hat-trick put an end to Steeple Bumpstead Reserves' spirited performance.
Wilson's last minute winner - a deflected free kick - handed all three points to Chris Haynes' team against the bottom-of-the-table side whose performance bellied their league position.
You may also want to watch:
And with current lead leaders Figleaves in cup action this weekend, Haynes' side have the opportunity of leapfrogging them into top spot if they can beat Debden Reserves on Saturday.
Speaking about his side's win over Steeple, Haynes said: "They were a lot tougher than we expected, and it was quite a difficult game on a big pitch.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
"We struggled at times and didn't defend well, but saying that we created enough chances to win the game."
Wilson put Orwell 1-0 up at the break and midway through the second half doubled his team's lead.
Steeple came back with two goals of their own - one of which was a bizarre effort as Orwell had thought a ball had gone out for a throw in and had stopped play, only for the officials to rule it hadn't and for Steeple to go on to score - but Wilson was on hand in the dying minutes to score his third and settled the game.
Orwell: Cooper, Golton (Wadey-Leblond), Green, Haynes, Jones, Marriott, Scripps, Squires, Todd, C Wilson (Hipkiss), D Wilson.