One wicket Eversden loss for Royston
- Credit: Archant
Royston narrowly failed to grasp victory from the jaws of the defeat as they lost out to Eversden by one wicket in Junior 1 South.
The Crows were put into bat by the visitors, and while the runs came at a healthy rate the home side were hindered by the loss of regular wickets.
Jason Ward found a way through the defences of Paul Leary (4) and Martin Leary (0), while Mick Miller (5) fell to a controversial catch in the slips and Ward also picked up the wicket of Sam Montague-Fuller (14).
Ward had his fourth with the edge of captain Paul Harris to gully for 0 and when Rory Harper also went for 0, Royston were sinking at 88-6.
However, a 10th wicket stand of 52 from Josh Holmes (16) and Rohan Shetge (36) left the Crows on a more than competitive 189 all out.
Eversden’s reply was positive from the beginning, as Sam Sabey displayed some crisp striking on the way to a rapid 50 partnership.
With Eversden already getting away from the home side, Harris found an important breakthrough with the wicket of Ward (18).
- 1 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 8 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 9 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 10 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
Yet, as Sabey went on to make 80 not out, even Matt Gillham’s four wickets could not save the hosts from a slender loss.