One wicket Eversden loss for Royston
- Credit: Archant
Royston narrowly failed to grasp victory from the jaws of the defeat as they lost out to Eversden by one wicket in Junior 1 South.
The Crows were put into bat by the visitors, and while the runs came at a healthy rate the home side were hindered by the loss of regular wickets.
Jason Ward found a way through the defences of Paul Leary (4) and Martin Leary (0), while Mick Miller (5) fell to a controversial catch in the slips and Ward also picked up the wicket of Sam Montague-Fuller (14).
Ward had his fourth with the edge of captain Paul Harris to gully for 0 and when Rory Harper also went for 0, Royston were sinking at 88-6.
However, a 10th wicket stand of 52 from Josh Holmes (16) and Rohan Shetge (36) left the Crows on a more than competitive 189 all out.
You may also want to watch:
Eversden’s reply was positive from the beginning, as Sam Sabey displayed some crisp striking on the way to a rapid 50 partnership.
With Eversden already getting away from the home side, Harris found an important breakthrough with the wicket of Ward (18).
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 4 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 7 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 Council leader calls for 'kind and courteous' queuing for fuel
- 10 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
Yet, as Sabey went on to make 80 not out, even Matt Gillham’s four wickets could not save the hosts from a slender loss.