One wicket Eversden loss for Royston
- Credit: Archant
Royston narrowly failed to grasp victory from the jaws of the defeat as they lost out to Eversden by one wicket in Junior 1 South.
The Crows were put into bat by the visitors, and while the runs came at a healthy rate the home side were hindered by the loss of regular wickets.
Jason Ward found a way through the defences of Paul Leary (4) and Martin Leary (0), while Mick Miller (5) fell to a controversial catch in the slips and Ward also picked up the wicket of Sam Montague-Fuller (14).
Ward had his fourth with the edge of captain Paul Harris to gully for 0 and when Rory Harper also went for 0, Royston were sinking at 88-6.
However, a 10th wicket stand of 52 from Josh Holmes (16) and Rohan Shetge (36) left the Crows on a more than competitive 189 all out.
You may also want to watch:
Eversden’s reply was positive from the beginning, as Sam Sabey displayed some crisp striking on the way to a rapid 50 partnership.
With Eversden already getting away from the home side, Harris found an important breakthrough with the wicket of Ward (18).
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 10 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
Yet, as Sabey went on to make 80 not out, even Matt Gillham’s four wickets could not save the hosts from a slender loss.