One wicket Eversden loss for Royston
- Credit: Archant
Royston narrowly failed to grasp victory from the jaws of the defeat as they lost out to Eversden by one wicket in Junior 1 South.
The Crows were put into bat by the visitors, and while the runs came at a healthy rate the home side were hindered by the loss of regular wickets.
Jason Ward found a way through the defences of Paul Leary (4) and Martin Leary (0), while Mick Miller (5) fell to a controversial catch in the slips and Ward also picked up the wicket of Sam Montague-Fuller (14).
Ward had his fourth with the edge of captain Paul Harris to gully for 0 and when Rory Harper also went for 0, Royston were sinking at 88-6.
However, a 10th wicket stand of 52 from Josh Holmes (16) and Rohan Shetge (36) left the Crows on a more than competitive 189 all out.
Eversden’s reply was positive from the beginning, as Sam Sabey displayed some crisp striking on the way to a rapid 50 partnership.
With Eversden already getting away from the home side, Harris found an important breakthrough with the wicket of Ward (18).
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 7 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
Yet, as Sabey went on to make 80 not out, even Matt Gillham’s four wickets could not save the hosts from a slender loss.