On course to face the longest day
ROYSTON S top golfers are being called on to take up a marathon challenge to help Macmillan Cancer Support. The Macmillan Cancer Support Longest Day Challenge involves teams of golfers playing four rounds – 72 holes – in one day, at both Royston Golf and
ROYSTON'S top golfers are being called on to take up a marathon challenge to help Macmillan Cancer Support.
The Macmillan Cancer Support Longest Day Challenge involves teams of golfers playing four rounds - 72 holes - in one day, at both Royston Golf and the Gog Magog Golf Club in Cambridge.
The team will be swinging into action on June 15 with 36 holes in Royston, followed by another 36 holes in Cambridge, where they hope to raise more than £3,000 for the cancer care charity.
The nationwide event is being backed by both Colin Montgomerie and Nick Dougherty, as well as Royston's Brian Holson.
You may also want to watch:
Trevor Sweeting of Royston Golf Club said: "We really wanted to take on the challenge and help Macmillan Cancer Support because all of us know someone who has been helped by this organisation, and we all appreciate their fantastic work.
"It will be no easy feat completing four rounds of golf in one day, but we'll be spurred on knowing each hole will be helping people living with cancer."
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
The top three teams in the UK will go on to compete for the Longest Day Golf Challenge Trophy at the De Vere Slaley Hall.
Teams will also get the chance to win a golf master class with Nick Dougherty.
Colin Montgomerie, who has supported the event for a number of years said: "We've all been touched by cancer in some way, either personally, or through friends and family. The Longest Day Challenge is the perfect excuse to have the ultimate golfing day, while raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support."
To sponsor the golfers' mammoth challenge visit the website www.justgiving.com/72holes, or for more information call 0207 840 4614 or visit the website www.macmillan.org.uk/golf
n ROYSTON Golf Club will play host to the Cambs and Hunts Ladies Championships on Sunday.
The competition started last Friday, with two qualifying rounds to decide the draw for the championship and plate knockout rounds.
The first and second rounds of the knockout competitions take place on Saturday, with the semi-finals and final on Sunday.
With the current Champion, Hermione Fitzgerald unable to defend her title through injury, former champions Sarah Attwood and Jackie Gregg will lead the battle for the title.