Ollie good show as Celtic bounce back to gain win

Buntingford Cougars U-11 1 Royston Celtic 4 AN entertaining game saw Celtic take the points after conceding an early goal. Buntingford started the game well and Celtic struggled to get hold of the ball, so it was no surprise when the home side scored aft

Buntingford Cougars U-11 1 Royston Celtic 4

AN entertaining game saw Celtic take the points after conceding an early goal.

Buntingford started the game well and Celtic struggled to get hold of the ball, so it was no surprise when the home side scored after a ball over the top caught out the defence and the Cougars forward finished well.

Celtic gradually got themselves back into the game and equalised when Ollie Sole's shot deceived the home keeper.

Royston were now playing some good football and after a succession of corners the ball broke to Joe Walsh who fired Celtic in front.

It was now all Celtic and after another good move Guy Curtis was sent through and he buried his shot into the far corner.

Most Read

The second half was an even affair with both sides playing some good football.

Curtis came close to adding a fourth when his shot hit the post before Sole raced clear to score his second and wrap up the points for Celtic.

Royston Town Colts U-8 A 11

HC Cougars 0

IN A one-sided affair Royston were five goals up by half time with Kye Jones (2),Connor Madden, Kieran Starr all getting on the scoresheet and Jake O'Brien scoring his first ever goal for the club.

The second half started the same way as the first ended, with Starr completing his hat-trick.

Connor Madden added another and keeper Nathan Harness added one after he was moved up front.

Charlie Dobson hit his first goal for the club and Ben Seabrook rounding things off.

Royston Town Colts U-8 B 1

Royston Town Colts U-7 A 0

COLTS' under-seven side stepped in at last minute to fulfil this fixture and they produced a great performance, battling away not giving their older clubmates a minutes rest.

In the first half the under-sevens went close to scoring with only Bradley Casling standing in the way.

The second half was still end to end with Mason Barnes working hard in midfield.

With five minutes remaining the ball fell to William Tyrrell who smashed home to seal the win.

Wymondley Park U-10 A 3

Melbourn A 1

MELBOURN started the match with some tight passing and some strong defending by Matthew Goodfello keeping Wymondley out.

However a sustained period of pressure saw the hosts break the deadlock to make it 1-0.

The visitors quickly responded with a fine goal from Harry Carter, who chipped a defender and then drove home from an acute angle with the outside of his boot.

Melbourn applied further pressure and some good passing upfront by Daniel Alison saw them create some further chances.

The second half started with Wymondley going close and Melbourn responding with a sustained period of pressure that resulted in five or six clear-cut opportunities being topped off with an open goal being missed.

Inevitably after missing so many chances, a cruel twist of fate saw Wymondley score against the run of play and make it 2-1.

Further poor defending by Melbourn resulted in Wymondley's third

- Josh Joyce's long range effort proved only a consolation as Melbourn's B team went down 6-1.

Royston Town Colts U-10 3

Letchworth GCE Yellows 0

COLTS bounced back from last week's defeat after a tough match.

Unbeaten Letchworth were 1-0 down inside four minutes. Some good passing from Richard Jonas and Jordon Campbell to get forward a pass to Long who passed back into the area for Matthew Stout to slot home.

The second goal came minutes later. Always controlling the midfield, the ball was won and taken on between Stout and Campbell. The ball went loose in the area only for Long to control and score from a tight angle.

The second half saw Letchworth start stronger, after a couple of corners caused a stir and some good attacking from them,

Colts started to control again and some great defensive work at the back from Stephen Thake and Jack Jeffries always gave them confidence to score again.

Campbell had a couple of great free-kicks which came off the crossbar and some corners created chances which were not taken.

But after good pressure in the last seven minutes, Royston were rewarded with some good work down the left from Stout. In turn this created a chance for Campbell which produced a great save, but Long scored his second with the follow up.

Herons Youth U-12 4

Royston Town Colts A 2

COLTS acquitted themselves well in this, their third cup tie in as many weeks, before bowing out of the competition in the second round to West Herts league side, Herons Youth.

Herons took the lead midway through the first half, a mistimed tackle resulting in a penalty after a lightning quick move down the right flank.

Colts responded well with some attractive football, maintaining possession well and equalising just before the break, Heron's keeper unable to hold a whipped-in cross from Matt Cooney, Lucas Sekobawane on hand to stab home his fourth in as many games from close range.

Royston began the second half in sluggish mood, allowing Herons too much of the ball and paying the price when they took the lead again from another quick break.

But for a series of superb saves from keeper, John Middlemass, and vital interceptions from Mitch Kilroy, Colts would have fallen further behind as they struggled to regain their first half momentum.

Herons extended their lead from an over-hit cross which went unchallenged and then scored again with half a hour to go after Colts lost the ball on the edge of the box.

Just as all seemed lost, Colts finally found their rhythm, Harry Stafford, in particular orchestrating some terrific Colts' moves from midfield.

In an exciting finale, Colts then pulled one back after Matthew Evans was sent tumbling in the box, Jack Bailey making no mistake from the spot.

As the minutes ticked away, Colts piled on the pressure but were unable to find the net again, the pick of their efforts being Sekobawane's terrific solo run and shot which was brilliantly saved.

Melbourn Tigers U-11 1

Baldock Town Youth Templars 10

TEMPLARS returned from Melbourn with a comfortable win on Sunday.

Baldock started in attacking style, and they finally broke the deadlock after 10 minutes.

Another run from Nicholson and a cross to the far post left Higginson to tap the ball into the net.

Baldock's second was the goal of the game. Starting with a headed clearance from Mark Rogers the ball was passed with speed and skill by Connor Doyle and Nicholson to put William Budd through to score.

Melbourn rallied and for the next 10 minutes played some good football and pulled a goal back.

It took some strong tackles from Baldock captain Elodie Blanchfield and Corey Rodgers in defence to keep Melbourn at bay.

Nicholson and Higginson combined again for Baldock's third goal and then Doyle added a fourth just before half-time.

The second half began with Higginson completing his hat-trick with a lob over the keeper. Melbourn were then unlucky as a Rogers shot was deflected over the keeper from a defender's head.

Rogers then turned provider, crossing for Budd to score Baldock's seventh. Higginson scored his fourth after another run and cross down the wing from Rogers, and Rogers then scored his second from a pass from Doyle.

Rodgers, Alex Close and Ryan Savage all saw shots go wide, before Judges hit a hard shot that the keeper did well to tip onto the bar, but Budd was following up to head home for his hat-trick as Baldock reached double figures.