Oh Karyl! Fowlmere leave it late
Comberton United Res 0 Fowlmere 1 KARYL Darcey s 85th minute winner gave Folwmere another deserved victory and maintained their pressure at the top of BIS Division 1A. It was a potential banana skin for in-form Fowlmere, who travelled to the league s bas
Comberton United Res 0 Fowlmere 1
KARYL Darcey's 85th minute winner gave Folwmere another deserved victory and maintained their pressure at the top of BIS Division 1A.
It was a potential banana skin for in-form Fowlmere, who travelled to the league's basement boys missing several key players.
Among the missing men was goal kings Danny Mizon and Dan Caley as well as the suspended Bobby Cripps.
You may also want to watch:
They also lost captain Matt Poole a minute after kick off - a series a events that would have left many teams deflated.
However, the visitors showed their character and strength in depth, bringing in reserve team players Rory Clarke and 16-year-old Ben Searle, with a hard-fought performance right until the final whistle.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 6 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 7 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
And their efforts were rewarded with five minutes left when Darcey cut in from the left and fired in a well-taken angled drive.
Head coach Steve Walker said: "It was another pleasing win and with so many players missing we knew that it would always be a tough game.
"However, the boys responded well and played some good football.
"The win is a good sign, because it shows that despite having key players missing, they can still get a result.
"It's also another three points that keeps us in touch with the likes of JM Sports, Sawston United and Duxford United."
Fowlmere entertain fifth-placed Litlington Athletic on Saturday. It will be a must-win game for both teams as they look to close the gap at the top of the table.
Walker said: "It will be another tough game, and I expect Litlington to be as up for the game as we are. We will be back to near enough full strength, so it promises to be a good match.
"They are two points behind us in the league, with a game in hand - so there's a lot to play for!"
- Fowlmere Reserves hammered nine-man Melbourn Reserves 15-0 in Division 5A, and completed a great weekend for the club.
They ran riot in front of goal, with the impressive Darren Dyer chalking up a six-goal haul. Other goal scorers included Steve Cordell (2), Ian Ling (2) and Dave Osbourne (2).
Manager Giuseppe Pascuzzi said: "It was a comfortable win, but they only had nine men.
"Nevertheless, we did our job and took our goals very well. Darren Dyer looked very sharp and scored some very good goals.