No complaints as Town's run ends

Buntingford Town 1 Chipperfield Corinthians 2 PAUL Attfield had no complaints after Town's 10 match unbeaten run came to an end. I've no complaints with the loss because Chipperfield were the better team" he said It's been a fantastic run but we certai

Buntingford Town 1 Chipperfield Corinthians 2 PAUL Attfield had no complaints after Town's 10 match unbeaten run came to an end. "I've no complaints with the loss because Chipperfield were the better team" he said "It's been a fantastic run but we certainly looked a little jaded collectively and if we were going to lose I would have put money on it being a team scrapping for points rather than a top of table side. "These games are dangerous games at this time of the season and we easily fell into the trap of complacency." Attfield's side, who looked a little weary after four games in eight days never really got going as their visitors, fighting for Premier Division survival always looked the more likely side to win the game. Chipperfield started the game better and took the lead on 11 minutes. A right wing free kick was met by Andy Lowe with a thumping header from 10 yards giving Kieran Fox in the Town goal no chance whatsoever. Town stepped their game up but surprisingly looked ineffective in the final third with crosses easily dealt with and approach play too often breaking down around the visitor's penalty area. Town's best chance came on 29 minutes when Lee Ridings cushioned down a long throw in the penalty area to Carl Smith whose angled drive flew just over the angle of the framework. Two minutes later John Bitting unleashed a firm 25 yard strike that the visiting keeper scrambled away with a late dive, but Town looked jittery defensively and with more good fortune Chipperfield could have extended their league before the break. A couple of narrow misses and smart saves from Fox prevented further goals before the interval. Town started the second half better with far more intensity and spring in their step. The introduction of pacy youth team player Luke Robins on the left wing caused the visitor's problems and within the first five minutes of the half he had won three free kicks for late tackles. Disappointingly these kicks were all wasted, claimed by the goalkeeper and 10 minutes into the half the visitor's doubled their lead with their first attack of the half. An unchallenged left wing cross was headed back across goal and the unmarked Mark Parfitt volleyed under Fox from 10 yards. This visibly knocked the stuffing from Town and Parfitt missed from in the six yard box when it looked easier to score and another free header from a free kick cannoned back off the right hand post. Attfield played with a third striker in hope of getting back in the game but the experienced Chipperfield defensive unit sat deep and soaked up any pressure with relative ease. The lifeline materialised with 15 minutes remaining when Carl Smith bundled in George Garner's right wing cross but even this failed to galvanise the home team and the visitor's comfortably saw out the game. Town: K Fox, B Lynch, D Chaffey (L Robins), D Easley, M Smith (T Bellingham), J Babbage, L Ridings (R Wilmott), J Bitting, C Smith, G Christie, G Garner. Unused sub : D Cain - Town remain in third place in the Herts County League Premier Division. On Saturday they host Codicote in the league cup semi-final. Buntingford Town 1 Met Police Bushey 1 TOWN go into tonight's second leg of the Herts Floodlight Cup all square aftar a deserved draw at Norton Road, last Wednesday. On balance of play Met Police had the better and greater possession but Town always looked likely to create chances up front with the pace of Robbie Wilmott and Carl Smith always causing the visitors problems. Both of these players had two excellent chances apiece to break the deadlock. Wilmott ran clear through on goal twice after breaking the offside trap and lobbed one effort just over with the visiting keeper diving to expertly block the other effort. Smith had two close range angled drives, one that clipped the outside of the post and the other which again was superbly blocked by the keeper. Met Police had good possession but hadn't called goalkeeper Damion Williamson into any worthwhile saves but they did take the lead in the fourth minute of injury time at the end of the half. Town gave the ball away in attack too cheaply and Killick crossed for Danny Boyd to convert from close range. To double Town's woes goalkeeper Williamson collided with Boyd and was knocked unconscious. An ambulance was called. Williamson was released from Lister hospital in the early hours of Friday morning with severe concussion. This meant captain Duncan Easley had to deputise in goal and the forced change of tactics and personnel had a negative effect on Town's play. The visitors took a strangle hold of the game but again were unable to fully test Easley despite having an effort ruled out for offside and hitting the post. Centre halves Jamie Babbage and Barry Lynch had particularly outstanding games and boss Paul Attfield responded by making another change and playing three forwards. The move helped to stretch the game a little and the outcome helped Town gain some momentum and they deservedly equalised with 20 minutes remaining. Carl Smith ran onto a lobbed through ball and this time the striker's fine 18 yard lob left the keeper with no chance. Police pressed harder to gain a winning goal, but Town defended stoutly to deservedly take a share of the spoils. Town: D Williamson (J Tyler), J Babbage, B Lynch, D Easley, M Smith, L Robins (T Malins), T Jarman (G Christie), G Garner, C Smith, R Wilmott, C Moule.