New fitness regime has Royston eyeing promotion
Royston rugby club 1st XV are already well into their pre-season schedule and look to be doing everything they can to give themselves the best possible chance when the new campaign takes off at home on September 13 against Barnet Elizabethans.
With the help of Fighting Fit director David Ayliff, the first team players are being put through their paces on a 10-week programme combining all aspects of the game.
First team captain Damo Fouracres said: “Last season there were a number of games that went right down to the wire and on another day could have gone our way. As a result we’ve made it a priority this year to ensure we are ready physically and mentally from the first whistle to the last and we’re definitely going about it the right way.
“Working with Fighting Fit director David means the sessions are concise and well-structured and enable us to get the most out of them.”
When asked about the team’s chances next year, he added”: There is a real buzz around the club and I think everyone would agree promotion is the aim.
You may also want to watch:
The pre-season games start on Saturday, August 23 against followed by a trip to Wanstead seven days later.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 7 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department