New captains welcomed at Royston Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Following their election at the club’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Thursday, Royston Golf Club welcomed their new captains last weekend with the traditional captain’s drive-in.
On Saturday morning, there was glory for past captain Sid Seward and golf partner Alan Warner who made the best of the frosty conditions to score a seven-under-par 43 stableford points in the four-ball better-ball competition.
Second place went to Mark Pearson and Martin Shipley with 40 points and it was another past captain, Graham Toby, with his playing partner Mick Joyner in third with 38 points on countback.
When it came to their big moment neither captain let the large crowd down as they each hit excellent tee shots from the front of the clubhouse.
Club captain Ray Sammons managed 226 yards while senior’s captain Mike Harrison hit his ball 137 yards.
You may also want to watch:
Yet again, however, the longest drive was provided by the incoming junior captain. This year it was Matthew Bailey with a tremendous 237 yard drive.
The club’s Friday Winter League, competed for amongst the club’s seniors, began last week and there was early success for Jim Hopkins who returned 41 points to take an early lead in the table where the players’ six best scores over the duration of the league count. The individual with the highest six-round total wins overall.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 3 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 10 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
The seniors also play each Wednesday and are pleased to welcome new golfers into their fold if anyone is interested in joining in.
In addition, members of the club hold a regular Thursday golf gathering where, again, all are welcome.
Why not come along and try golf at Royston Golf Club?
For more details visit www.roystongolfclub.co.uk