Netball - Tracey’s girls rally to cause
ROYSTON Netball Club is celebrating its most successful season in more than 40 years, writes Tom Brown. The first team finished runners-up in the Cambridgeshire County League and reached the East of England Region playoff finals for the first time. At th
ROYSTON Netball Club is celebrating its most successful season in more than 40 years, writes Tom Brown.
The first team finished runners-up in the Cambridgeshire County League and reached the East of England Region playoff finals for the first time.
At the finals, in Welwyn Garden City, Royston competed against the league winners of the Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, and Norfolk divisions.
First team head coach Tracey Stimson said: "It was a tough competition, and we did extremely well to come through and qualify for the East of England Region competition.
You may also want to watch:
"Over the season we played some superb netball. They've worked hard for each other, defended strongly, created lots of goals and commanded the centre of the court really well."
Player coach Stimson puts Royston's success down to a mix of dedication, coaching, and team spirit.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
She said: "It was the club's best season. And it's been absolutely fantastic to be part of it."
The club also boasts the talents of former England captain Jo Moxham who led her country to a bronze medal at the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur.
Moxham, who plays goal defence, also helped England claim bronze at the World Championships in 1999.
"Not many teams can say they have a former England captain in their team," said Stimson.
"Jo won 40 caps, so players don't come much better than her. She has a lot of experience, which she passes on to others. Jo certainly gives the team a boost - she's great to have around."
Other members of the squad include: Anna Pinner, Jackie Huttlestone, Carol Parcell, Natalie Williams, Emma Kelly, Karen Hume, and Emma Higton.
Stimson said: "Next season is going to be a big step up, but everyone is really looking forward to it. We're going to be up against better teams and better players.
"But I'm confident we can do well and with a bit of luck, who knows what we can achieve?"
- Royston Netball Club plays home games at Royston Leisure Centre.
The club is on the look out for new players and a sponsor.
Anyone interested should contact Tracey Stimson on 07983 447772.