Netball - Tracey’s girls rally to cause
ROYSTON Netball Club is celebrating its most successful season in more than 40 years, writes Tom Brown. The first team finished runners-up in the Cambridgeshire County League and reached the East of England Region playoff finals for the first time. At th
ROYSTON Netball Club is celebrating its most successful season in more than 40 years, writes Tom Brown.
The first team finished runners-up in the Cambridgeshire County League and reached the East of England Region playoff finals for the first time.
At the finals, in Welwyn Garden City, Royston competed against the league winners of the Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, and Norfolk divisions.
First team head coach Tracey Stimson said: "It was a tough competition, and we did extremely well to come through and qualify for the East of England Region competition.
You may also want to watch:
"Over the season we played some superb netball. They've worked hard for each other, defended strongly, created lots of goals and commanded the centre of the court really well."
Player coach Stimson puts Royston's success down to a mix of dedication, coaching, and team spirit.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 5 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 9 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 10 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
She said: "It was the club's best season. And it's been absolutely fantastic to be part of it."
The club also boasts the talents of former England captain Jo Moxham who led her country to a bronze medal at the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur.
Moxham, who plays goal defence, also helped England claim bronze at the World Championships in 1999.
"Not many teams can say they have a former England captain in their team," said Stimson.
"Jo won 40 caps, so players don't come much better than her. She has a lot of experience, which she passes on to others. Jo certainly gives the team a boost - she's great to have around."
Other members of the squad include: Anna Pinner, Jackie Huttlestone, Carol Parcell, Natalie Williams, Emma Kelly, Karen Hume, and Emma Higton.
Stimson said: "Next season is going to be a big step up, but everyone is really looking forward to it. We're going to be up against better teams and better players.
"But I'm confident we can do well and with a bit of luck, who knows what we can achieve?"
- Royston Netball Club plays home games at Royston Leisure Centre.
The club is on the look out for new players and a sponsor.
Anyone interested should contact Tracey Stimson on 07983 447772.