Nationals blow for brave Royston duo
DESPITE a brave battle Royston s Matt Coppen and Peter Adams were left disappointed at the National Finals in Worthing. In the singles, Coppen got off to a flying start with an impressive 21-17 win over England international John Rednall of Suffolk. Cop
DESPITE a brave battle Royston's Matt Coppen and Peter Adams were left disappointed at the National Finals in Worthing.
In the singles, Coppen got off to a flying start with an impressive 21-17 win over England international John Rednall of Suffolk.
Coppen then dismissed Jenkins of Surrey 21-13 before bowing out of the competition against Devon's number one bowler by four shots.
Coppen then lined up alongside Adams, and as a result of the Hertfordshire pair failing to get out of the blocks, they slipped to a below-par 29-5 defeat.
Brian Pepper of Royston Bowls Club said: "The club is proud that two of our bowlers managed to make it through to the national finals."
There were mixed results for the club's ladies, who travelled to Stevenage Town for the semi final of the North Herts Women's Bowling Association.
- 1 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 2 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 3 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 4 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 5 Royston children encouraged to write to the Queen
- 6 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 7 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 8 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 9 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
In the triples Beryl Huckle, Brenda Hollands and Yvonne Whitehouse fought well, but failed to progress, while in the fours Huckle faired much better alongside Evelyn Hyde, Linda O'Flanagan and Shirley Pawson with a comfortable Royston win sending them through to the finals.
Hollands also bounced back to progress in the singles with a commanding win over Shirley Page of Baldock BC.
In the Challenge Shield, Royston came out on top against the Three Horsehoes, with Yvonne Whitehouse giving the club a good start with an excellent win in the singles.
Pairs partners, Eileen Sheriff and Eunice Dockree followed suit with another victory, and despite triples team Beryl Huckle, Evelyn Hyde and Shirley Pawson slipping to defeat, Royston secured a valuable 2-1 victory.
FOXTON AFTERNOON LEAGUE
Foxton 40 (1pt)
Meldreth 53 (4pts)
(Meldreth names first in all matches): Rink one: K Pryke, M Chapman, H Spraggett 18; J Cox 9. Rink two: G Burns, M Jeal, G Gunton 9; Foxton 25. Rink three: D Peacock, D Evans, M L Chapman 26; L Shelford 6.
Meldreth 52 (4pts)
Duxford 31 (1pt)
Rink one: K Pryke, D Peacock, D Brunsdon 21; G Hulford 3. Rink two: D Chapman, M Chapman, H Spraggett 17; V Rule 12. Rink three: D Sheldrick, D Evans, G Gunton 14; R Jasney 16.