Nationals blow for brave Royston duo
DESPITE a brave battle Royston s Matt Coppen and Peter Adams were left disappointed at the National Finals in Worthing. In the singles, Coppen got off to a flying start with an impressive 21-17 win over England international John Rednall of Suffolk. Cop
DESPITE a brave battle Royston's Matt Coppen and Peter Adams were left disappointed at the National Finals in Worthing.
In the singles, Coppen got off to a flying start with an impressive 21-17 win over England international John Rednall of Suffolk.
Coppen then dismissed Jenkins of Surrey 21-13 before bowing out of the competition against Devon's number one bowler by four shots.
Coppen then lined up alongside Adams, and as a result of the Hertfordshire pair failing to get out of the blocks, they slipped to a below-par 29-5 defeat.
You may also want to watch:
Brian Pepper of Royston Bowls Club said: "The club is proud that two of our bowlers managed to make it through to the national finals."
There were mixed results for the club's ladies, who travelled to Stevenage Town for the semi final of the North Herts Women's Bowling Association.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 6 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 10 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
In the triples Beryl Huckle, Brenda Hollands and Yvonne Whitehouse fought well, but failed to progress, while in the fours Huckle faired much better alongside Evelyn Hyde, Linda O'Flanagan and Shirley Pawson with a comfortable Royston win sending them through to the finals.
Hollands also bounced back to progress in the singles with a commanding win over Shirley Page of Baldock BC.
In the Challenge Shield, Royston came out on top against the Three Horsehoes, with Yvonne Whitehouse giving the club a good start with an excellent win in the singles.
Pairs partners, Eileen Sheriff and Eunice Dockree followed suit with another victory, and despite triples team Beryl Huckle, Evelyn Hyde and Shirley Pawson slipping to defeat, Royston secured a valuable 2-1 victory.
FOXTON AFTERNOON LEAGUE
Foxton 40 (1pt)
Meldreth 53 (4pts)
(Meldreth names first in all matches): Rink one: K Pryke, M Chapman, H Spraggett 18; J Cox 9. Rink two: G Burns, M Jeal, G Gunton 9; Foxton 25. Rink three: D Peacock, D Evans, M L Chapman 26; L Shelford 6.
Meldreth 52 (4pts)
Duxford 31 (1pt)
Rink one: K Pryke, D Peacock, D Brunsdon 21; G Hulford 3. Rink two: D Chapman, M Chapman, H Spraggett 17; V Rule 12. Rink three: D Sheldrick, D Evans, G Gunton 14; R Jasney 16.