National success for Royston Bowls Club
- Credit: Archant
Royston Bowls Club triumphed in more national competitions this week.
Brian Pepper and Don Sheriff beat D and P Willingson 18-17 while in the National Senior Singles second round, Laurie Ramsay beat Peter Roseblade of Baldock 21-19.
In the County Fours, Peter Archer, Cliff Moore, Gwyn Hardwicke and Don Sheriff were narrowly beaten by Baldock 17-14.
In the Letchworth and District pairs, Will Martin and Stan Whitehouse won convincingly 29-12 against Howard Garden.
The MDL teams had mixed success, drawing two rinks each against Gamlingay.
Alan Warner, Maureen Gisby and skip Keith Dockree won 15-14 on the last end after a very close match while skip Eileen Hyde led Charles Bowyer and Nigel Woor to a convincing 20-10 victory.
Royston won both friendly games at the weekend.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 4 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 7 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 8 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
Firstly, at home to Allenbury, high scoring resulted in a 113-65 victory for the hosts. Away to Letchworth Garden City, Royston produced a 86-65 win.
The Bank Holiday Club Gala triples saw 36 players fighting for the title.
Joan Knight, Jill Goode and Derek Goodwin won with a terrific score of 34 shots.