National bronze for Shortland
TALENTED Royston pole vaulter Louise Shortland continued her development by claiming third place at the under-23 England Athletics National Championships. Earlier in the season, bad weather brought disappointment when two major matches, the County Athle
TALENTED Royston pole vaulter Louise Shortland continued her development by claiming third place at the under-23 England Athletics National Championships.
Earlier in the season, bad weather brought disappointment when two major matches, the County Athletics Union Championships, (CAU) and the England Athletics under-23 National Championships, caused the women's pole vault to be postponed when high winds made it too dangerous to vault.
The CAU has yet to be re-arranged but the National Championships were hastily combined with last weekend's Jumps Fest at the Birmingham Alexander Stadium.
Despite more rain, the weather could not dampen Shortland's spirits and she rose to the occasion to finish third with a vault of 3m 40cm.
You may also want to watch:
The 21-year-old's vault was just 20cm below her season's best of 3m 60cm and meant that she narrowly lost the silver to Bryony Raine, of Cardiff AC, 3m 50cm.
Sale Harrier Emma Lyons went on to win the contest with a vault of 3m 90cm.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
Shortland will be in action again this weekend when she makes the journey to Manchester to compete in the Division 1 National competition.