More medals for Greneway's record-breaking athletes
GRENEWAY'S talented year five and six athletics team travelled on a very hot evening to St Albans for their first taste of the under-11 County Athletics Championships. Against the best competitors from 19 schools in the county the Greneway team hoped to d
GRENEWAY'S talented year five and six athletics team travelled on a very hot evening to St Albans for their first taste of the under-11 County Athletics Championships.
Against the best competitors from 19 schools in the county the Greneway team hoped to do well.
This expectation was surpassed brilliantly as the Royston school won a record 10 golds, one Silver and two bronzes making every final and smashing many school and championship records along the way.
Terry Graves, the school's assistant headteacher and head of PE, said: "It was the most successful evening of county athletics in the school's illustrious sporting history.
"These young athletes have really put Royston on the athletics map in Hertfordshire - we impressed everyone with these phenomenal performances."
Individually, a 'hat-trick' of golds for Sophie Shannon and Christy Stubbs was particularly praiseworthy, the latter also setting new Championship records in all three performances.
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 3 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 4 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 5 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 6 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 7 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 8 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 9 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 10 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
Both relay teams impressed with their slick changeovers leading to both team golds and Championship records!