More medals for Greneway's record-breaking athletes
GRENEWAY'S talented year five and six athletics team travelled on a very hot evening to St Albans for their first taste of the under-11 County Athletics Championships. Against the best competitors from 19 schools in the county the Greneway team hoped to d
GRENEWAY'S talented year five and six athletics team travelled on a very hot evening to St Albans for their first taste of the under-11 County Athletics Championships.
Against the best competitors from 19 schools in the county the Greneway team hoped to do well.
This expectation was surpassed brilliantly as the Royston school won a record 10 golds, one Silver and two bronzes making every final and smashing many school and championship records along the way.
Terry Graves, the school's assistant headteacher and head of PE, said: "It was the most successful evening of county athletics in the school's illustrious sporting history.
You may also want to watch:
"These young athletes have really put Royston on the athletics map in Hertfordshire - we impressed everyone with these phenomenal performances."
Individually, a 'hat-trick' of golds for Sophie Shannon and Christy Stubbs was particularly praiseworthy, the latter also setting new Championship records in all three performances.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
Both relay teams impressed with their slick changeovers leading to both team golds and Championship records!