Morden pick up first win of the season
Papworth Reserves 2 Steeple Morden Reserves 3 BIS Division 5B STEEPLE Morden Reserves battled the wind and the rain on Saturday to finally claim their first win of the season. Manager Andy Smith fielded a strong, committed side and this certainly paid off
Papworth Reserves 2 Steeple Morden Reserves 3
BIS Division 5B
STEEPLE Morden Reserves battled the wind and the rain on Saturday to finally claim their first win of the season.
Manager Andy Smith fielded a strong, committed side and this certainly paid off.
You may also want to watch:
Papworth started with the wind at their backs and used this to good effect when a long clearance from their goalkeeper deceived both Morden centre backs and was latched on to by Lewis Baker who made no mistake from 12 yards.
Morden were expecting a testing half, and despite the early setback did not let their heads drop.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Tom Holt scored his first competitive goal for them on 23 minutes when Papworth's attack was broken up by the Morden defence and a quick counter left Holt with the goal at his mercy.
As the advancing 'keeper made a despairing lunge at the striker's feet, he placed the ball into the back of the net.
Shortly before half time Morden put their noses in front with a well worked free kick.
Kieran Smith played the ball into the box along the ground and Damian Pennell beat both defender and 'keeper to the ball to fire home.
The home team started strongly in the second half and drew level after 54 minutes. Despite Paul Hutley's superb last gasp sliding tackle to prevent one attacker, Baker was once again on hand to find the net for the second time in the game.
Morden continued show grit and determination with Tom Pollard in the middle of the park and Hutley at the back driving the team forward.
Indeed the visitors grabbed all three points with a moment of individual brilliance.
Pennell received the ball just inside the opposition half, controlled it, looked up and fired at goal.
With the home 'keeper just off his line, Pennell managed to lob the ball perfectly just out of the reach of the Papworth number one to claim his third of the season.
Steeple Morden Reserves: C Poulter, Collins (Alexander), Thorp (Edwards), Hutley, K Smith, M Poulter, T Holt, Pennell, Neaves, T Holt, Taylor (Geraghty).