Morden pick up first win of the season
Papworth Reserves 2 Steeple Morden Reserves 3 BIS Division 5B STEEPLE Morden Reserves battled the wind and the rain on Saturday to finally claim their first win of the season. Manager Andy Smith fielded a strong, committed side and this certainly paid off
Papworth Reserves 2 Steeple Morden Reserves 3
BIS Division 5B
STEEPLE Morden Reserves battled the wind and the rain on Saturday to finally claim their first win of the season.
Manager Andy Smith fielded a strong, committed side and this certainly paid off.
You may also want to watch:
Papworth started with the wind at their backs and used this to good effect when a long clearance from their goalkeeper deceived both Morden centre backs and was latched on to by Lewis Baker who made no mistake from 12 yards.
Morden were expecting a testing half, and despite the early setback did not let their heads drop.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
Tom Holt scored his first competitive goal for them on 23 minutes when Papworth's attack was broken up by the Morden defence and a quick counter left Holt with the goal at his mercy.
As the advancing 'keeper made a despairing lunge at the striker's feet, he placed the ball into the back of the net.
Shortly before half time Morden put their noses in front with a well worked free kick.
Kieran Smith played the ball into the box along the ground and Damian Pennell beat both defender and 'keeper to the ball to fire home.
The home team started strongly in the second half and drew level after 54 minutes. Despite Paul Hutley's superb last gasp sliding tackle to prevent one attacker, Baker was once again on hand to find the net for the second time in the game.
Morden continued show grit and determination with Tom Pollard in the middle of the park and Hutley at the back driving the team forward.
Indeed the visitors grabbed all three points with a moment of individual brilliance.
Pennell received the ball just inside the opposition half, controlled it, looked up and fired at goal.
With the home 'keeper just off his line, Pennell managed to lob the ball perfectly just out of the reach of the Papworth number one to claim his third of the season.
Steeple Morden Reserves: C Poulter, Collins (Alexander), Thorp (Edwards), Hutley, K Smith, M Poulter, T Holt, Pennell, Neaves, T Holt, Taylor (Geraghty).