Morden pair in record-breaking stand
RECORDS tumbled and history was made on Saturday as Steeple Morden cruised to victory over Barrington II at the Recreation Ground. Batting first Morden put on an opening stand of 62 before Steve Bailey (11) succumbed. This brought to the crease Paul Jarm
RECORDS tumbled and history was made on Saturday as Steeple Morden cruised to victory over Barrington II at the Recreation Ground.
Batting first Morden put on an opening stand of 62 before Steve Bailey (11) succumbed. This brought to the crease Paul Jarman to join John Anderson and between them they hit devastating form, taking the score past 100 inside 18 overs.
Anderson made the most of his good fortune; three times he was dropped in the field, the first with just four runs to his name.
Jarman was the perfect foil allowing his batting partner the lion's share of the strike. With 192 already on the board at 30 overs and the sun beating down the visitors looked a defeated force.
You may also want to watch:
Anderson carried his bat throughout the innings, scoring 164 - the highest individual score in a 40-over match at Morden.
Jarman was out to the penultimate ball of the innings with his score on 82. Between them they added 220 for the second wicket, again the highest partnership in a 40-over game at the rec.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
Barrington made a slow but decent start to their innings but only Atkin (31) and Barker (12) got into double figures with Martin Osborne on good form (4-21).
David Buey (2-27) John Harper (1-23) and Jarman (1-6) closed the Barrington innings with the score on 127 inside 27 overs.
Great Chishill beat Hardwick/Shepreth II by seven wickets to hold on by their fingertips to top spot in Division 2SA, but other results mean it is increasingly tight as three teams push for the one promotion place.
Chishill restricted Hardwick to 137 with Steve Gardner's changes of pace claiming four victims.
The visitors went off like an express train with Kirk Chilton dealing in fours. When he was out Martin Levy and Simon Coxall added 101 to see their side to victory.
With just 0.3 of a point separating Chishill from pursuers NCI II and Ashwell the season looks to have a lot of life left in it yet.