Morden lose by odd goal in three
Steeple Morden Reserves 1 Haslingfield 2 BIS League Division 5B A VALIAN performance saw Steeple Morden lose by the odd goal in three against second placed Haslingfield on Saturday. With assistant manager Karl Parr taking the reins in the absence of Andy
Steeple Morden Reserves 1 Haslingfield 2
BIS League Division 5B
A VALIAN performance saw Steeple Morden lose by the odd goal in three against second placed Haslingfield on Saturday.
With assistant manager Karl Parr taking the reins in the absence of Andy Smith, only a few changes were made to the starting line up.
You may also want to watch:
New strike pairing of Martin Holt and Parr were given the task of kick-starting Morden's game and there appeared to be a bit more creativity from the kick-off as Holt had a cracking long range effort tipped over the bar.
Winger Mark Poulter fired another long range shot in at goal only to see it rebound off the crossbar and be hacked away to safety as Morden began to dominate.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
- 9 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 10 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
The pressure was rewarded shortly after when Holt slotted a ball through the defence for Parr to race onto. With quick thinking and even quicker feet Karl duly despatched the ball into the bottom right corner.
Poulter then created another chance with a cross from deep on the left flank and the tireless Neaves managed to get on the end of the cross but could not keep his effort the right side of the post.
Haslingfield upped their game and started to gain the momentum in the second period and sure enough they levelled the game with a good cross and tap in on 60 minutes, and then took the lead with a goal mouth scramble shortly after.
Morden went close when centre half Mark Thorp made a late run into the box to get on the end of a superbly delivered corner kick from Kieran Smith but his powerful header crashed back off the bar.
Substitute Paul Geraghty was also denied by the woodwork, following a flick on at the near post that beat the 'keeper and looked destined to end up in the net, but the cross bar came to Haslingfield's rescue for the third time in the match and in doing so denied the home side any share in the points.
Steeple Morden Reserves: Clark, Collins, Huseyin, Thorp, Smith, Poutler (T Holt), Carlton, Pennell, Neaves, M Holt (Geraghty), Parr.