Morden lose by odd goal in three
Steeple Morden Reserves 1 Haslingfield 2 BIS League Division 5B A VALIAN performance saw Steeple Morden lose by the odd goal in three against second placed Haslingfield on Saturday. With assistant manager Karl Parr taking the reins in the absence of Andy
Steeple Morden Reserves 1 Haslingfield 2
BIS League Division 5B
A VALIAN performance saw Steeple Morden lose by the odd goal in three against second placed Haslingfield on Saturday.
With assistant manager Karl Parr taking the reins in the absence of Andy Smith, only a few changes were made to the starting line up.
You may also want to watch:
New strike pairing of Martin Holt and Parr were given the task of kick-starting Morden's game and there appeared to be a bit more creativity from the kick-off as Holt had a cracking long range effort tipped over the bar.
Winger Mark Poulter fired another long range shot in at goal only to see it rebound off the crossbar and be hacked away to safety as Morden began to dominate.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
The pressure was rewarded shortly after when Holt slotted a ball through the defence for Parr to race onto. With quick thinking and even quicker feet Karl duly despatched the ball into the bottom right corner.
Poulter then created another chance with a cross from deep on the left flank and the tireless Neaves managed to get on the end of the cross but could not keep his effort the right side of the post.
Haslingfield upped their game and started to gain the momentum in the second period and sure enough they levelled the game with a good cross and tap in on 60 minutes, and then took the lead with a goal mouth scramble shortly after.
Morden went close when centre half Mark Thorp made a late run into the box to get on the end of a superbly delivered corner kick from Kieran Smith but his powerful header crashed back off the bar.
Substitute Paul Geraghty was also denied by the woodwork, following a flick on at the near post that beat the 'keeper and looked destined to end up in the net, but the cross bar came to Haslingfield's rescue for the third time in the match and in doing so denied the home side any share in the points.
Steeple Morden Reserves: Clark, Collins, Huseyin, Thorp, Smith, Poutler (T Holt), Carlton, Pennell, Neaves, M Holt (Geraghty), Parr.